• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please stack RAW+JPEG files

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrary to Lightroom Classic, Lightroom CC doesn't automatically stack the two photos of a RAW+JPEG pair together. This creates quite a bit of clutter. Could you please implement this feature? Thank you.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
56 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will save significant effort and storage space if you could cut JPGs when storing Raw as well.
Either way just a defined workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started with Lightroom and I'm kind of shocked this isn't here. Very disappointed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, this may be one of the most frustrating lacks in PS LR CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was quite bumped by this too. Hope it comes soon. Can't deal with all the photos twice. I also want the raw one as a backup in case I wan't to go further with one but I don't want to go trough duplicates all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is support for this coming? I'm holding off on signing up for the Lightroom CC plan for this reason only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't tend to announce their release plans in advance because... well, life happens! This post should get updated when it as added. In the meantime, it is possible to stack manually, but of course that could take some time. Or you could just import the raw files, after all, do you really want duplicates taking up space in the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense. I’m just trying to make the voice louder that’s asking for this feature 🙂 More people showing interest helps product prioritize their backlog :)

I don’t want duplicates, but I don’t have time at this moment (we just had a baby 🙂 to go through my entire library and organize things such that I’m confident that loosing all the jpegs won’t be a problem. I’d love to upload everything as-is and manage it all later, if that makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations on the new baby!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m personally having a hard time understanding why one would need to work with both raw and jpeg files at the same time.

If you shoot raw but prefer the in-camera jpeg look, the color profiles in the newest Lighroom are amazing and mimic the in-camera jpeg processing perfectly.

Of course everyone’s workflow is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think different people have different use cases. For me, sometimes I just want to rip the pictures off my SD card and post them somewhere without doing any post processing, so grabbing the JPEGs off my camera yields better results. But I still want to have the RAW files so I can do edits at a later date when I have time. After I process the RAW files from a “photo shoot” I’ll then delete the JPEGs, since I agree that there’s not much point in working with both formats at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true, but (i) at the time I wrote this suggestion, CC didn't yet support profiles; (ii) in my Olympus camera I have about 7 picture modes and like 14 art filters — Adobe only provides 4 "equivalent" profiles for those; and (iii) I still want that stacking option for the photos I took back in the days before I shot RAW only but RAW+JPEG instead. I think it's a valid request we're expressing here. Some people like to shoot both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think different people have different use cases. For me, sometimes I just want to rip the pictures off my SD card and post them somewhere without doing any post processing, so grabbing the JPEGs off my camera yields better results. But I still want to have the RAW files so I can do edits at a later date when I have time. After I process the RAW files from a “photo shoot” I’ll then delete the JPEGs, since I agree that there’s not much point in working with both formats at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, because I do like how my camera renders the JPG and I use it as a reference frame to ensure I am not getting too far field with edits in post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need JPG and RAW together because I shoot fuji mirrorless.  There are two solutions that would  for me. 

1) Read the film simulation I used when I shot the photo, and apply it to the RAW file.  Lightroom just added support for all the Fuji film simulations.  But, setting these 1 at a time is not feasible when you take a thousand photos. This is the best solution.  I could skip JPG all together and just shoot RAW.  I've found a plugin for classic that applies the film simulation to the RAW file, but that doesn't work for lightroom CC because it doesn't support plugins.

2) stack RAW and JPG.  I can review my JPGs, then grab the RAW if I need more room for adjusting exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize the new Lightroom doesn't do this, and now I have tens of thousands of "duplicates" in my library from our month-long vacation with no easy way to even filter them, nevermind stack them

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just about to switch over from Apple Photos to Adobe Lightroom CC but I can't figure out a way to migrate my photo catalog that both includes RAW and JPEGs. The past few months I have shot in both formats, but previously I have only used JPEG, meaning that I can't just exclude all JPEGs from the import either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joel, been there, done that. First of all, it’s essential that you download all the photos in your Photos library to your local drive and that you turn your iCloud Photo Library off once completed. This is the only way to make sure that you have all the originals as Photos might store your originals in the cloud otherwise (i.e. if you have the “optimize storage” option turned on). Also make sure that all the photos taken with iOS devices are uploaded to the iCloud Photo Library and then downloaded to your local hard drive.

Once you’re sure that you have all your original files in your Photos library, you should right-click on the Apple Photo Library and choose “show package contents” from the dialogue. You’ll then see a “Masters” folder in the finder. That’s the one you want to import to Lightroom as it should contain all your original photos (raw AND jpeg).

This might help: http://osxdaily.com/2017/02/23/where-...

And this, too: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301611

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super curious / disappointing that this is NOT supported! please .. how are we supposed to work on the jpg for most cases and declutter the dupes in library view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to make the jump from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC. Having over 200,000, many of which I started shooting with JPG + RAW (+ once accidentally), this would be a nightmare to organize manually. Please add stacking RAW + JPG please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note, if you migrate your Classic Library, it will only import the RAW files (I learned this only after the import happened). At least that is how it is handling it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, were the JPEGs showing in Lightroom? Or hidden as raw+jpeg pairs? The former sounds buggy, the latter less so (but an excellent point for documentation!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, the JPEGS were/are hidden as RAW + JPEG pairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can somebody please follow up on this issue?  Either enable users to import JPEG/RAW only, or at least enable filter by file-type so it can be easier to delete all JPEGs post-import.

I have to shoot RAW+JPEG because of WiFi/Smart device transfer requirements for JPEG files, but any time that I actually want to interact with photos in LR, it's almost always RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that searching my recent import for .jpg allows me to quickly select and delete all of the JPEGs, e.g. if I only want the RAWs for that import. This of course doesn’t solve the problem if I want to keep both but not see both separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate