• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I set a nonsquare texture ratio and keep it

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I'm missing something, there's a fundamental functionality missing in the way that texture placement works. If I bring in a nonsquare texture, obviously I want to retain its correct aspect ratio. Substance automatically makes everything square.

That would be fine if there were an easy way to set non-uniform scaling (e.g. X=1, Y=1.5), then LOCK that relationship, then be able to continue scaling the texture. This is not possible -- unlocking then relocking X and Y values will simply make them uniform again (in this case, 1.5 would be reset to 1). This is ridiculous.

This wouldn't be such an issue except for the fact that textures ALSO interpret alpha/transparency into channels where I don't want it, e.g. roughness and metallness. There is ALSO no easy way to disable this. So the textures that I necessarily make square to avoid problem number 1, then go on to create problem number 2.

Either give us a way to keep the correct aspect ratio on nonsquare textures, or an easy way to prevent transparency in square textures from unwanted channel contributions. It should NOT be necessary to create masks or separate alpha textures just to deal with this.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Steve5D7C,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We know the nonsquare ratio is a really expected feature for the community. 

I realize this is not exactly the solution, but the projection tool does support the non square ratio and has a tiling mode.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I later discovered that with UV projected textures at least, once the correct aspect ratio has been set it IS possible to resize the texture and maintain that in the UV view by manually resizing the bounding box/manipulators. However, I'm not aware of any comparable capability in 3D projected textures which tend to be used far more (this IS a 3D paint program after all). So the best solution would still be to implement a "maintain aspect ratio" checkbox or something similar that DOESN'T make X=Y when it's enabled and respects whatever the current aspect ratio is. It's not a big deal to have to calculate the correct aspect ratio manually once, but if it's then necessary to do it multiple times while sizing the texture it's a royal PIA. Please expedite inclusion of this basic functionality. Another solution would to stop Substance from making every texture square to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources