• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add ALT tags to vector graphics to be used in InDesign?

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys and gals!

Really hope one of ya'll can help me out, I'm thoroughly stuck here! I work at a municipality, producing pamphlets and other designs that are used online, which is why I am looking into accessibility. Basically, I am looking to save time by adding ALT tags to background graphics and logos that I use all the time, so I don't have to add them manually every time I import one of them to an InDesign project.

So far, I have tried:

• Illustrator: Creating a 'Slice' and opening 'Settings for slice', where you can add an 'Alt'. However, when I save the vector graphic, import it to InDesign and export the PDF, the Alt disappears and the Accessibility control in Acrobat Pro doesn't find it 😞
  • Adobe Bridge: I read online that you can add ALT tags in Adobe Bridge, but I have been unable to find the option where this is possible? 😕
  • Acrobat Pro: I tried opening the vector graphics, selecting 'Accessibility' and 'Set alternative text', saving, importing to InDesign and exporting, but the ALT tag is still not there. 👎

I'm running out of options... Can it really be, that there is no way to add ALT tags in vector graphics that is imported along with the graphic in InDesign and exported as PDF to include the tags?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Jesper Pedersen

TOPICS
Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Hey Jesper

If you're adding the alt tags as metadata to the files you're placing in InDesign (using File Info…in the File menu, or via Bridge) you could try making this work with an object style (in InDesign):

1. Create  a new Object Style, that you will apply to the placed files;
  2. In the Object Style  export options, you will see ALT Text—select that;
  3. From the dropdown menu, select  “From XMP:” (then choose wherever you’ve stored your ALT text).

Does that work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can't be in the imported image. You have to assign them in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I was afraid of...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jesper

If you're adding the alt tags as metadata to the files you're placing in InDesign (using File Info…in the File menu, or via Bridge) you could try making this work with an object style (in InDesign):

1. Create  a new Object Style, that you will apply to the placed files;
  2. In the Object Style  export options, you will see ALT Text—select that;
  3. From the dropdown menu, select  “From XMP:” (then choose wherever you’ve stored your ALT text).

Does that work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tony. Thanks for your response and for trying to help me find a solution.

When you say add the alt tags in the metadata of the files I am trying to place, where exactly do you want me to add those tags? There are no options in File Info that pertains to tags (see screenshot). Am I supposed to add it in "Description, or maybe "Keywords"?

Also, I tried creating the new Object Style as you suggested, and looking at the Style export options (see screenshot), but I can't find any mention of alt texts or XMP - am I looking in the right spot (double clicking the export style I created)?

Bridge - File info...Bridge - File info...InDesign - Export style Object optionsInDesign - Export style Object options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jesper

I'd use the description field in the metadata.

If you look at the bottom of the categories in the Object Style dialog, you should see soem export options, in which there are three:

• Alt Text
  • Tagged PDF
  • EPUB and HTML

Click on Alt Text and then determine the Alt Text Source from the drop-down (From XMP: Descroption).

Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you are an oracle! That actually worked 😄 Only problem now is that I would love to have the graphics stored in my CC Libraries, so my colleagues can access them also, but when I import the graphic with the description to CC Libraires and do the same trick in InDesign, the alt text isn't there.

You wouldn't happen to have an idea for that one, would ya'? 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute! I think that was my mistake. I am used to opening vector graphics in Illustrator to add them to CC libraries, which is why the description didn't follow along. I just tried dragging the vector graphic file into the CC libraries window and that seem to have worked!

You are a star, Tony! Thanks so much for all your help and patience 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Jesper—glad you now have a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only do I have a solution, but I have about 10-15 colleagues who is dealing with the same issue, so you just helped out the whole communications community in Hjoerring municipality in Denmark, my good man! 😉 Greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jasper / Tony

I was wondering if you could help me as I'm also working on a InDesign file that contains some Illustrator charts but my issue is that Acrobad not only reads the Alt-text but also the chart labels, which is very confusing for the end-user. Is there a way to block the reader from reading text within an AI link, and only using the Alt-text?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines