• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator 26.4 starts, but when I try to execute any command it immediately crashes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a MacBook Pro 16" 2021
Apple M1 Max
64 GB memory
MacOS 12.5

I can no longer use Adobe Illustrator 26.4. The programme starts, but when I try to execute any command (e.g. open a new file, open an existing file or just open the Illustrator info window), the programme immediately crashes.
I have already tried downgrading to version 26.3.1 and 26.2.1. Without success.
Uninstalling and reinstalling did not bring any success either.
The only plug-ins I use are the entire Astute Suite. I have also uninstalled this once as a test. No success.

I urgently need this programme for my job and a quick solution to the problem.

What else can I do?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

It took a while, but now I have found the error, thanks to your tips and help.

The problem is actually with font management. I didn't mention that I use Connect Fonts for this. The plugin (ExtensisFontManagementAI2022) for Illustrator is up to date. There was also the old plugin (2021) in the folder. It seems that it is not automatically replaced during the update, but only added. I have now also checked the other Adobe programmes. Everything is correct there. Only Illustrator had this problem.

Th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the Astute plugins before you updated Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing this out. The Astute plugins are up to date. Astute has explicitly pointed this out.
But even with uninstalled Astute plugins and an older version of Illustrator (see above) it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to make sure that you saw this notice. It would have been the simple solution.

Did you already reset the preferences?

Crashes when creating new files or opening existing ones have long been associated with printer issues. Is there a printer? Is it turned on and set up as the default printer? Driver up to date?

Does Illustrator have full disk access?

Where are your files? Locally or on a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the tips.
The default settings of Illustrator are reset.
There is a printer that is switched on and is the default printer. The driver is up-to-date.
Illustrator has full hard disk access. All data is on local storage. The problem also occurs when I want to create a new file.

Until now I could work with Illustrator without any problems. The problem only started after the last update of Illustrator 26.3.1. I had hoped that Illustrator 26.4 would fix the problem. Unfortunately not. But downgrading to even older versions doesn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new file is in the background also opening a file.

I would suggest you contact Customer Care. They can login to your system to check it out: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gunnar25386394ogrn,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind confirming if it is crashing or not responding when you try to open or create a new file? If yes, then I would recommend you try validating fonts & clearing the system font cache (https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-illustrator-indesign.html).

If that doesn't help, try turning off GPU performance from the Illustrator preferences > Performance and see if that helps or not.

Please try these and let us know how it goes.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took a while, but now I have found the error, thanks to your tips and help.

The problem is actually with font management. I didn't mention that I use Connect Fonts for this. The plugin (ExtensisFontManagementAI2022) for Illustrator is up to date. There was also the old plugin (2021) in the folder. It seems that it is not automatically replaced during the update, but only added. I have now also checked the other Adobe programmes. Everything is correct there. Only Illustrator had this problem.

This means that the problem lies with Extensis, because in Illustrator the old plugin is not automatically deleted after the update of the plugin. Extensis has to improve this. Until then, the extension should be checked and deleted manually.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could solve it and thank you for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that, @Gunnar25386394ogrn, and thanks for sharing the solution.

Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines