Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator changes colors in linked images

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My Adobe illustrator keeps changing the colors of images that I link. Both profiles are set to RGB so that should not be a problem. 

The left image is the original, the right one is the file with the link.

Adobe_linked_image_colors.png

 These are my color settings (sorry for the Swedish, I cannot change the language of Adobe)

Adobe_linked_image_colors_1.png

 Any ideas of how to fix this?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Marlous, I think I found the cause of the color shift. 

There is an option in the EPS Options "Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files" when checked it causes the color shift.

Turn it off an the RGB preview is there when the .eps file is placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Document Color Mode perhaps CMYK (File > Document Color Mode > )?

What is your  Document Color Profile? See Edit > Assign Profile...

What filetype are those images, do they have a profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said in my original post, both files are RGB so that should not cause a problem. They are both .eps files. I also posted an image of the color profile settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marlous,

What happens if you place the image (linked) in a new AI document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, but unfortunately, the same. Left is .ai file, right the original .eps.

Marlous294405496q76_0-1681724553757.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS files do not have an ICC profile. 

If the eps file is vector, save it as an Illustrator file with a profile.

If the file is an image, save it in Photoshop with a profile.

I would recommend to turn on the warnings for missing and mismatched profiles in your Color Settings to see what happens when you place the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried (per Jacob's suggestion) to link to the original .eps from an AI doc but the result is the same. I will turn on the warnings though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also check if your Document Profile is different from your Color Settings and the profile of the file you are placing.

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I checked those and they are all the same: sRBG IE61966-2.1. That's also the same as the setting I have in the general color settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file? CC filesharing, DropBox, Google, WeTransfer are possible sharing methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Marlous.

It is confusing, I see the color bright in the MP_blue_square_button.eps file and the file is an RGB file

But I also see in the File Info that the original document probably was based on a Print preset (the file info document title says Print) and the swatches all have CMYK names. The CMYK file has been converted to RGB.

When I save the .eps file as MP_blue_square_button.ai and replace the linked file in your Camera.eps it looks ok.

EPS is an outdated format that does not support color management and transparency, I would recommend to use pdf or ai in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I will look into that. I will use the images in a program called Madcap Flare and that does not support .ai files unfortunately, but PDF might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it again, made a new sRGB file with your bright blue background, saved as eps an placed it in another new sRGB document and it became dull.

Looks like an eps bug. I would avoid eps, but you may want to report it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Edit: it is the option to "Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files" that causes the color shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, will do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marlous, I think I found the cause of the color shift. 

There is an option in the EPS Options "Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files" when checked it causes the color shift.

Turn it off an the RGB preview is there when the .eps file is placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, thank you for looking into this once more! Works a charm 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"EPS Options "Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files" when checked"

After almost 30 years of using Adobe, I still run into this issue. Why this is enabled by default is amazing, because most people dont seem to use it and spend HOURS trying to solve it. The option alludes almost everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope that not a lot of people use EPS anyway.

If you want to file a bug report/feature request, please use: https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines