• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Outline View VERY slow!

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought the new MacBook Pro TouchBar with harddisk and graphics card upgrade, but Illustrator is running slower than on my 2014 MacBook Pro. How can this be? When in outline mode and panning around the document using the hand tool, it's extremely laggy when it should be MORE snappy, no? Anyone else experiencing this? It's extremely frustrating....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugged a Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU with AMD VEGA Frontier 16Gb LC on the TB3 port of a 2016 maxed out 15" MBP and the LG Ultrafine 5K plugged on the opposite side TB3 port.

Before that, Illustrator was barely usable and I had to use the software in low resolution mode to avoid graphic issues and low reactivity even with High Sierra 10.13.4 (which patched graphic glitches in the OS, display issues on startup etc… but no link with Illustrator).

Now I use the eGPU everything seems smoother, the Outline mode remains slower than I used to know with non 5K / 4K displays but it is also clearly faster.

I wouldn't recommend to invest on this setup only to use Illustrator properly, but it confirms :
> there is a lack of performance with the internal Radeon Pro 4Gb 460 GPU chosen by Apple on the 2016 MBP mainly to manage multiple UHD (4K / 5K…) displays.
or
> there is an optimization issue with the high definition display and the Radeon Pro GPU which make us back to low performances on Illustrator and indesign (cause there is also low performances on this one).

or
> both answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have posted a beta build on out prerelease forum: adobe.ly/1o2SDsg which has the feature of Outline in GPU Preview. This would help to tackle performance issues in high resolution monitors. You are welcome to try out the build and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have posted a beta build on out prerelease forum: adobe.ly/1o2SDsg which has the feature of Outline in GPU Preview. This would help to tackle performance issues in high resolution monitors. You are welcome to try out the build and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that in the pre-release the outline view now works as expected, as fast as in normal view with gpu enabled. I'm testing on a 2017 iMac 5K 3.8GHz i5 Radeon Pro 580 GPU with High Sierra 10.13.4. On the other hand, the PIXEL PREVIEW is still unusable, it's becoming obvious now that this is because it’s lacking of the GPU acceleration. Time to create a new post "Adobe Illustrator pixel preview VERY slow!"? And how long it will take to address this issue? Another 1+ years of waiting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that as well. Indeed this pre-release seems to solve the incredible slowness that Illustrator was exhibiting while using outline-view on high-res internal and external displays (4K, 5K) for the last 18 months.

Looking forward to the official release of 23.x!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this Sarah! Have only done a quick test, but it seems to solve the problem. Zooming and scrolling is smooth and fast in outline mode. Finally! :^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey! I fixed it using this software https://gfx.io/

turn off Automatic graphics swithing and then check only onboard card

Of course, that's just the way fire.

Adobe should fix the following updates!!

Sorry my English is bad,I just want to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cloudnguyen​– The GPU accelerated outline mode is fixed in the upcoming 2019 version (at least it works perfectly for me in the 2019 beta posted above by @sarah_khan​ from Adobe). I recommend you try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me link? I will try anything to improve it.My job is 90% on AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cloudnguyen

Please join Adobe Illustrator on prerelease forum: Adobe Prerelease  and download the latest beta pre release build .Can you let me know the resolution of monitor on which you are facing performance issue?

Thanks,

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks @sarah_khan i will try, i use MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015),

I'm lagg using the mouse in the workspace.I tried it on winOS with bootcamp, it was good even though it only got 1 vga.But when used on macos, everything is really bad for Illustrator and Indesign.

I think a problem between Ilustrator and VGA Radeon R9 because I just tried to install a software that allows only active VGA intel Iris everything is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues and got it working much better by going the energy setting and switch off automatic graphics switching 

and also turn off put hard disk to sleep when possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone all the way through this thread and I can't find anything helpful.  I have a brand new iMac 3.8 gHz (the 2017 build version) running Mojave (10.14.1) and CC2015.3.1 (due to Adobe's "improvements" I can't use the later versions).  Seems like a lot of folks have problems on MacBooks, but this is a high end desktop machine.  On my old (2013) iMac even running Mojave and 2015.3.1 I never had any problems.  Apple tech support is utterly clueless on this.

BTW "Automatic Graphics Switching" isn't available in my System Preferences.  Is that a MacBook only thing?

Anybody with an iMac have anything helpful?  This is MOST irritating.

Thanks!

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is fixed in Adobe Illustrator CC 2019. But if you're stuck at CC 2015 for some reason I haven't found any other solution. Maybe try downgrade even more? To a version before GPU accelerated graphics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I turned off grids and solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines