Hi there,

After the installation of Monterey all EPS are without preview... What can I do

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022
please try this way. it works for me on monetrey 12.3.1 (21E258)https://www.thetechexplained.com/fix-missing-icon-preview-for-eps-files-in-macos-monterey/546/

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use eps?

I use them occasionally, but it's an old tech which hasn't seen any update in eons.

Any particular reason you need to use eps - old printer RIP?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getty images and many other vector based illustration services use EPS files to distribute artwork.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the .eps in Ilustrator and save as .ai then, with pdf compatibility off.  If you need to drop into InDesign or after effects then turn on pdf compatible. Avoid using .eps & pdf compatible  and  your workflow will be more productive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for amazing tip, but I've got hundreds of these things! Maybe I can create a shortcut and process all at once. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I am a graphic designer and EPS is still used a lot for illustrations (vector) and for the distribution later.... This tip is not really a help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tip is not really a help!

By @nicolea54182876

As a Mac user it's your only option at the moment. Perhaps Apple will implement support for EPS again or someone makes a system extension that does.

But I would take it as a warning sign to change workflows and really only use EPS when absolutely necessary. All modern layout applications are able to use PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you don't work at a national design firm or ad agency? .eps is absolutely common for logo files/graphics, stock vector downloads from places like Shutterstock and Getty, so I'm not sure where you are getting your info. If you download say hundreds of shutterstock vectors it is an inefficient  workflow to change everything from .eps, I'm sure Apple will fix it but it's a pain. But definately email the Shutterstocks of the world and let them now they shouldn't use .eps

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you don't work at a national design firm or ad agency?

By @jonr32416655

I assume this isn't meant as a compliment.

Well, you don't have to rely on my word. I assume you don't know Dov Isaacs - just google him. On this page you can read what he has to say about EPS: https://printplanet.com/threads/the-case-against-the-eps-file.268330/

Thinking that EPS is a good idea just because Shutterstock uses it, is just kind of cute. They use that EPS Illustrator 10, which for a lot of files just doesn't make any sense at all. They use EPS because it is supposed to be editable with any vector application. A lot of their files contain transparency and won't be editable in any other vector app than Illustrator (or, in case they have been created in some other app , then that one). And cannot be easily changed to be editable. So it makes no sense to supply them as EPS in the first place (PDF doesn't make so much more sense, but at least transparency would be preserved).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read all the posts?

This is a Mac issue--not Adobe--and a work-around solution was posted on 2022/01/03.

Being an Adobe forum, the only Adobe-related answers are:

• Don't use EPS,
  • Work without a desktop preview, or
  • Use Adobe Bridge to preview.
David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Monterey does not offer a preview for Illustrator files either. At least this is what I experience.
So using AIs instead of EPS does not fix the problem for me. Working with Illustrator PDFs only is not a solution for our agency either. So I really hope that the system will allow previews of EPS and AIs after the next update ... 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you post a feature request on Apple's support site? I don't think Apple actively reads these forums. 

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! it worked!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is still used frequently in design. It's frustrating that Mac would drop preview support for these files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271

This is caused by:

macOS Monterey is missing the generator needed to do this. It used to be in `/System/Library/Quicklook` as `EPS.qlgenerator`. Sadly, you can't just copy it over from an existing Catalina installation (I don't have a BigSur handy to try that), as that keeps crashing. Btw. you'd have to put it into `~/Library/Quicklook` as `/System` is not writeable anymore.

I can only assume that Apple had some issues with the generator and thus removed it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this working solution on Apple forum.
I tested it and it works great. Please pay attention to copy modfied qlgenerator in Library/QuickLook, NOT in System/Library/QuickLook

1. Copy the "Illustrator.qlgenerator" from "/System/Library/QuickLook" to your desktop or any other folder you have read/write access to.
  2. Open "Illustrator.qlgenerator" by right clicking it and select "Show package contents".
  3. Open "Info.plist" in the "Contents" folder with a text editor.
  4. Find the line "<string>com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image</string>"
  5. Insert "<string>com.adobe.encapsulated-postscript</string>" below it with the same indentation and save the "Info.plist" file.
  6. Copy "Illustrator.qlgenerator" to "/Library/QuickLook"

If you did everything right, you should now have .EPS previews back again. That's a workaround until apple fixes it in the System/Library, hopefully soon.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks for posting!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It works!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you noticed your machine freezing up after you made this change? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ma using this solution since two days and I didn't notice any freezing. Did you have a look at the Console?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I did and it showed QuickLookSatellite as the culprit for numerous crashes. This is why I was asking. After removing, all was good. Perhaps I have a corrupt file that was crashing this process.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks alot!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made it all the way to copy the illustrator.qlgenerator back into the Library folder. will not let me? I've tried safe mode, unlocking folders nothing works???

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am also trying to implement this workaround or whatever it is.
Unfortunately I'm already out of luck right at the beginning. My "/System/Library/QuickLook" folder in Monterrey is completely empty, no hidden files either.
Am I doing something completely wrong here or missing something from the description?
Thanks for any advice!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found yet another workaround solution in case anyone is interested.
It's a plugin originally created for MacOS 15 but it seems to work on Monterrey, too.
No guarantee, of course. I'm in no way a coding guy either, so if you check it and find anything totally not cool in there, please let me/us know. Thanks.

I found it via quicklookplugins.com: https://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/02/eps/ 
This is the direct link to the developer: https://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/epsqlplg/epsqlplg/download.html 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines