Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

After Installation of Monterey no more EPS previews

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

After the installation of Monterey all EPS are without preview... What can I do

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use eps?

I use them occasionally, but it's an old tech which hasn't seen any update in eons.

Any particular reason you need to use eps - old printer RIP?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getty images and many other vector based illustration services use EPS files to distribute artwork.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the .eps in Ilustrator and save as .ai then, with pdf compatibility off.  If you need to drop into InDesign or after effects then turn on pdf compatible. Avoid using .eps & pdf compatible  and  your workflow will be more productive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for amazing tip, but I've got hundreds of these things! Maybe I can create a shortcut and process all at once. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I am a graphic designer and EPS is still used a lot for illustrations (vector) and for the distribution later.... This tip is not really a help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This tip is not really a help!

By @nicolea54182876

As a Mac user it's your only option at the moment. Perhaps Apple will implement support for EPS again or someone makes a system extension that does.

But I would take it as a warning sign to change workflows and really only use EPS when absolutely necessary. All modern layout applications are able to use PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253307271

This is caused by:

macOS Monterey is missing the generator needed to do this. It used to be in `/System/Library/Quicklook` as `EPS.qlgenerator`. Sadly, you can't just copy it over from an existing Catalina installation (I don't have a BigSur handy to try that), as that keeps crashing. Btw. you'd have to put it into `~/Library/Quicklook` as `/System` is not writeable anymore.

I can only assume that Apple had some issues with the generator and thus removed it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines