Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI 2024 really slow on M3 Max Macbook

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

As example, I have an 11 page doc, 11x17" artboards, 6MB.  All vector line work, very few fills, no placed images.....  nothing fancy, a lot of lines, but really simple.....aircraft layouts imported as dwg linework from CAD. 

Just upgraded to an M3 Max Macbook Pro, 96GB memory running Sonoma 14.6.1. It's ridiculously slow, spinning beachball, lagging selection, lag between keyboard strike and screen response.  My M2 blazed through this stuff, M3 is driving me nuts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Illustrator are you using? The latest version is v28.6. With all of the compatibility issues netween Sonoma and the Adobe world it seems best to make sure that you are using the most up to date version of Illustrator. It also would not be a bad idea to reset preferences when/if you upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ian_3352,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. I hope Bill's suggestion to update Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/3AquUMT) helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/4clZuVe) and let us know if they help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply.  I’m up to date with everything, brand new machine, brand new Adobe re-install.  What’s weird is I can’t find the Adobe preference folder, it’s not in “library” (For Mac OS: <drive>/Users/<username>Library/Preferences/com.adobe) and doesn’t pop up in any searches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ian_3352,

Thanks for sharing the details. Would you mind trying to manually reset Illustrator's preferences and checking if it helps:

For macOS

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings.old

• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

For Windows

- Close all Adobe applications.

- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 28 Settings.old

- Relaunch Illustrator from Creative Cloud

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders, the location of which is mentioned above.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav, sorry, I have no idea what to do with those instructions….. hidden folders, exact paths?

Cheers

Ian
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from JetZero may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ian_3352,

Thanks for confirming. To remove the preferences, you can also try the suggestions shared here: (https://adobe.ly/3M4g7Kx) and see if they help.

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Also, kindly check if Illustrator behaves this way with only some files. If yes, kindly share a public link to a sample file after uploading it to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc., and a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...), so we can investigate this further?

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2024 Oct 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issues.. 

MacBook Pro 16-inch, Nov 2023 M3 MAX  128 GB

Adobe Illustrator V 28.7.1

GPU Performance : Checked

All vector artwork, with text. Each time I move something, I get the beachball. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Our team has made some improvements to this in the latest Illustrator release. Would you mind updating to Illustrator 2025 v29.0 and checking if it helps alleviate this problem?

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the path you've shown instead of looking at "com.adobe" the folder you should be concerned with in the Preferences folder is "Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings". Deleting that file (with Illustrator closed) will create a new set of preferences (and a new folder with the name "Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings") when Illustrator is next launched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2024 Oct 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have same issue !!! M3 Pro 1t - what is the story? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines