Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI 2024 very slow

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a macbookpro, OS 12.5, M1 chip, 16GB memory

I am now working on an illustrated book. About 45 pages (artboards) in all. Each page has an illustration that fills the artboard. Each original artwork (in psd format) is about 30Mb but they are linked into the AI file, not embedded. Everything worked smoothly and quickly under AI 2023 but after AI automatically upgraded to 2024, I often get the spinning color wheel when I try to navigate among the artboards. To open the file takes 60 seconds, and to save the file take several minutes.

Can anyone suggest how I can speed things up?

Is there a way to revert to using AI 2023? I don’t find version 2023 in my Applications folder anymore. Just 2024

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Illustrator still needs to compute and display the linked artwork.

16 GB of RAM is not sufficient for that. If you want to do that kind of stuff, you need to get a more powerful computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 GB is just not a lot of memory. For linking AI files into another file, you might want to look at InDesign. It's better at handling this.

To install previous versions, please check out: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used InDesign previously to layout books that are text based and many pages long (over 200 pages). However, since this book is art based and only a few pages I am trying AI.

At first, I embedded the artwork and then switched to linking the artwork (PSD files) because it was supposed to make the AI file lighter and faster. Is that true? Should an AI file with linked artwork instead of embedded artwork be lighter and faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator still needs to compute and display the linked artwork.

16 GB of RAM is not sufficient for that. If you want to do that kind of stuff, you need to get a more powerful computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using illustrator for 20 plus years this is a Adobe problem 

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a computer with 128gb of RAM and a further 24gb of VRAM. It handles 3dsMax and Arnold GPU rendering with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Opening up some packaging files in Illustrator however, and everything grinds to a halt. 

This isnt a hardware problem - this is an Adobe Illustrator problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardd74523188  schrieb:

Opening up some packaging files in Illustrator however,

What's in the files?

How many objects?

Transparency, effects, spot colors, patterns?

Placed images?

Where have the files and the linked images been saved?

Overprint preview turned on?

How much of that RAM is available? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ones I had in mind are food packaging sleeves. x3 artboards, 6 colours, each with a unique product shot at around 150mb (cmyk, 8bit with transparency) plus 4 reoccurring images replicated across all x3 sleeves totalling around 250mb (again cymk, 8bit). All images are linked, not embedded, sat in the same job folder as the source .ai file. x3 fonts. Overprint preview is off. All of the memory is available, less the OS (win11) and a few background tasks. The processor is a Threadripper 5975, graphics are an RTX4090, the scratch disk as a Samsung 990Pro with about 500gb to play around in.

Nothing about the files is overly strenuous. This progressive slowdown of illustrator has been an ongoing issue. The gradual ramp up in hardware seemingly cant keep pace with the required demands of what should be a straightforward piece of software. My machine has been built to run 3D CAD software way more demanding and yet it is illustrator that chuggs along like an old tractor at a monster truck festival.

And yes, all my drivers are up-to-date + I've invested some time optimising the nvidia drivers specifically for illustrator, which has probably added an extra 5-10% in performance. Still ridiculously slow though. Also, I know this isnt a hardware issue, as the rest of my colleagues in the studio have had similar problems across a variety of specced (windows and apple) machines.

Just to wrap up with why I've even got involved in this discussion - I got irked by the suggested solution of "go buy more RAM". It's a nonsense and one that I can vouch won't help. I accept that the original poster should really be using InDesign for that kind of work, but my point still stands. The real solution is for Adobe to start pulling their finger out and work on developing quicker, more efficient software. Rather than passing-off lazy answers to their consumers in a segment that they dominate and clearly don't feel the need to do better in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are slowing it down - that 250 MB is the size of the TIF? Because then it's also the compressed size. Illustrator shoves the uncompressed data around. Are those images on your harddisk? And the files? If not, that will only make it worse.

The original poster has 16 GB of memory, which is not sufficient for anything but simple paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're making my point for me. 10 years ago 16gb would have been fine for "simple paths" and much more. Now the software has got so slow and bloated that it's now incapable.

And the tifs are actually, to be specific (I had to go back and check) 215mb compressed from around 250mb and as I mentioned above, held in the same place as the ai file (local, quick drives). There's three of them - are you trying to convince me that to 'shove' 750mb of photography around requires more than 128gb of RAM? It didn't 10years ago. At this rate, by 2034 I'll need a data centre to open up a Christmas card design...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardd74523188  schrieb:

You're making my point for me. 10 years ago 16gb would have been fine for "simple paths" and much more. Now the software has got so slow and bloated that it's now incapable.

About 10 years ago Illustrator couldn't even address more than 3 GB of installed RAM. Using the GPU - don't even think of it. 

Just check out the threads from way back then. A file like yours would not have been manageable back then. Illustrator would have switched to outline view or crashed or whatever. Either you never really experienced that era or you just forgot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often this is a pretty difficult and ambiguous topic. Without taking a look at the actual files it may just be some speculation about the true reasons why Illustrator's performance is slow or speedy.

In my experience, even in the most recent Illustrator versions there are countless situations that may unexpectedly cause it to run at a very slow crawl, almost no matter how much RAM you are using. For instance, it is quite easy to set up an Illustrator file that contains a rather huge number of rather simple symbol instances. The physical size of the file may be just about 300 kb or 500 kb, but actually working with that file (moving, scaling, rotating etc. the symbol instances) is often unacceptably slow.

I'm not entitled to explain why it is so. But it occurs, and one may have to be careful to think it's just a matter of how much RAM is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kurt Gold  schrieb:

some speculation about the true reasons why Illustrator's performance is slow or speedy.

You carefully manoevered around the two huge images in bespoke file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm manoeuvring around, you think.

Thanks for clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Designer with 30+ years of experience here. I agree that you should use InDesign for anything over 2 pages. It's just so much easier to manage all those pages. Also InDesign is engineered to work with the prepress systems at the printing plant. InDesign automatically creates low-weight previews of all the placed art and streamlines working on multiple pages. In addition, InDesign's Master pages, page numbering, indexing features can't be replicated in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience it is rather nonsense to overall claim that 16 GB RAM is not sufficient in that case. It should be sufficient.

More important may be what kind of graphic board you are using.

Of course, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to the previous version. Never had a problem with that and still not having any!
AI 2024 is ridiculously slow and laggy. 
Personally it is one of the worst versions of Illustrators I have ever worked with. 
Also agree that it's Adobe's problem. It's not the first time that a new release comes out with tons of problems.
New realeases are like this. That's why I usualy wait 3-4 Months before downloading the new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are correct, at least in my experience. I have noticed severe performance loss in AI 2024 across systems, from a 16GB M1 iMac, to a 32GB i7 970Pro 6GB 1060, to my my 128GB TR 3955WX 24GB 3090ti 8x 2TB FireCuda 530 RAID10. They all have about the same performance for complex files. It isn't a hardware issue at your point, or at mine. It is a lack of optimization of Illustrator. It still runs on a single CPU cores for most things, for crying out loud, which is especially crappy for my TR 3955wx, because it isn't the fastest for single core tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32gb ram, M2 Pro chip and it still lags heaps. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sherwyn35096958xm97  schrieb:

I have 32gb ram, M2 Pro chip and it still lags heaps. So frustrating!

Do you have the Magnet app installed? Or Rectangle? ProofPoint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SLOW AS HELL!!

My Specs:
Windows 11 Pro
i7-13700K 3.40 GHz
64.0 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 running at 6000MHz
Geforce RTX 4070 12GB

4 -2TB  NVME dives one for OS, three for backups and work files.

2 27-inch monitors

People stop making excuses because It's been worsening over the last few years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines