Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.ai and .psd preview on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently using a Mac but i will soon be working on PC: I was wondering if it was possible to previex the .psd and .ai files directly in the file explorer of Windows 10, without having to open them in Photoshop or Illustrator (as we can be done on OSX thanks to the spacebar)? It would be a great time saver!

Thank you,

Clara

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

In the Windows Explorer in Windows 10, you can see previews for a variety of file types by going to the View tab and turning on the Preview pane. You can preview .ai files but not .psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

You can always use Adobe Bridge to accurately preview these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Windows Explorer in Windows 10, you can see previews for a variety of file types by going to the View tab and turning on the Preview pane. You can preview .ai files but not .psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why can not we see the .psd? When will it be repaired?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Myra! I know this post is from several years ago, but I've been trying to figure this out on Windows. Your suggestion worked for me. But is there a way for this to work for .ai files, but still have Details Pane selected? I'd rather have Details Pane selected, but I still want to see a small preview. It works fine for jpeg files with either selected for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot view the content of AI files in thumbnails by default in windows 10 explorer. (This only applies to very few that have been exported with pdf preview). So no. 

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always use Adobe Bridge to accurately preview these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thank you for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer to use Windows File Explorer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY things that will do this 100% is

By @Jonas DK

You have posted that link 4 times in this thread alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use SageThumbs to preview ai and psd files directly in Windows Explorer. You'll also have to download and install ghostscript as well, but there is a segment further down on the page specifically about which version you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll try this. Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why but i dont see thumbs for ai files. Installed Ghostscript but dont see any difference. To bad there is not much guidance on that page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteThe ONLY things that will do this 100% is

By @Jonas DK

According to other participants in this thread there are other tools that do it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I garantee you - they are not answering the initial question AND the are all inferior sulotion that does not solve the problem. The is one answer - I have been persuing this for years. This is the simple and 100% good answer. The fact that 2 "correct answers" are given to solutiones that certainly not are the correct answer - is just... 

[abuse removed by moderator]

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I garantee you - they are not answering the initial question AND the are all inferior sulotion that does not solve the problem.

By @Jonas DK

I'm not referring to the answers marked as correct. Did you read the complete thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read the thread. And many other threads like it. Why do you ask? This is a big issue to many people. I am trying to let people know the one simple simple answer to the thread - which is wrongly marked "correct" twice.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in my pre-retirement programming days I created previews for all of our products that would work on Windows.  Why doesn't Adobe supply a previewer with their products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it is the responsibility of Windows, for example, apple has support for everything, but windows does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think, that this is in the responsibility of Windows, however, Acrobat does provide previews/thumbnails for PDF files (although, you have to turn it on first - by default it's off). So if Microsoft isn't going to solve this, it falls back on the software provider to make their users happy. In the meantime I use Mystic Thumbs, it is an alternative to SageThumbs, which is mentionned above. But on directories with 1000+ files it consumes quite a bit of your pc resources to create the thumbnails. Once they are done, they're cached however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not able to preview either .ai or .psd.  Is there a setting that I am missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you tried so far? Did you install SageThumbs oder Mystic Thumbs? If not, you won't see a preview (icon) under any Windows version. If you have installed one of these tools, which one? The default settings of Mystic thumbs show you previews of .ai and .psd files by default and I assume SageThumbs does this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NetHawk, Re MysticThumbs: https://mysticcoder.net/MysticThumbs What about InDesign and other adobe software? Do you see all thumbnail from other formats when toggleing through placing or viewing like you can on a Mac? Do you feel the software is safe? I work on a governrment PC and cannot find the origin of SageThumbs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LRS: since there are problems with replying to a reply, I write my answer here.

1. Yes, Indesign previews are available for MysticThumbs: here's a list of all the supported file formats:
    https://mysticcoder.net/MysticThumbsFormats
  2. You see thumbnails from alle the formats in Explorer, you don't have to use the preview, but you can if you want a bigger view
  3. I think the software is safe. But feel free to throw the downloaded file at https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload and test ist against most, if not all popular virus checkers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It have would be perfect if it diddn't change the folders modified date. I use it to find my recent projects and recent changed files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a one-off thing. Once all the icons are generated, it should not change the folder date anymore. I also group my files by date and have never had that issue again. But right after installation it might have behaved like you are experiencing it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines