• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ai document layout scaled down for large print.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm really excited to see if I can get some help/guidance here.

The project is a printed board that will go on top of a roof on a small floating marina office.

The files are here so if anyone would like to help me they can see how I've set things up.

Dropbox - illustrator_file

There is a picture file, an Ai file and a PDF which I have exported from Illustrator.

Image.png

To the numbers now..

The measurements are as follows:

6500 mm Long x 800 mm High

I can not make this to scale in Illustrator so the printer tells me I need to make this 25% of the original size and then he can scale this up.

To arrive at my Ai artboard measurements of 25%

6500 / 4 = 1625mm

800 / 4 = 200mm

All good ?

3mm bleed. All good ?

Then, there's an image. This is not the final version, there's really just some logos placed on here and an image.

What do you think for scaling this image? It's in the dropbox.

It's a PNG

12.6mb

4096 x 2734

How can I make sure than an image I put on this design is going to print ok?

I know about vector images and non vector images and obviously this is a raster image, but I just want to get some feedback about pixels on this document.

Document Raster Settings

This is a High Resolution 300 ppi

CMYK

thank you ! If anyone has any time to give me some advice or thumbs up or down, I'd appreciate it.

Matt.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Measurements seems to be OK like the printer wanted.

But for your images you wil have to ask what the minimum resolution should be, ask the printer for this info.

The image now is at 284 ppi, but the images at the left are way to low I think, I see images at 59 ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Measurements seems to be OK like the printer wanted.

But for your images you wil have to ask what the minimum resolution should be, ask the printer for this info.

The image now is at 284 ppi, but the images at the left are way to low I think, I see images at 59 ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back. CHMprepress​

Do you mean the black image with Hi Octane is too low at 59ppi ? That item is a pdf.

Sorry for question within a question. I thought a pdf was good to resize, but it's nothing like a vector then ?

I will ask the printer, your right. I just wanted to get as far as I could as I've already been in touch with him twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the background on the left has some internal images and they are quit low in resolution.

Can't you get a better resolution file to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to search the company google drive or dropbox for hopefully a better file.

I'm glad you told me about that. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sign printing an effective resolution of 60 ppi is nothing unusual.

So how close will people get to this sign? And please talk to the printing folks about resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Majority of people who are walking past will see it from about 30-40 foot or just over 10 metres.

Those entering the office will see it at about 2 metres if they look up and focus on it.

Helpful people on this forum, thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RMCrawley  schrieb

Majority of people who are walking past will see it from about 30-40 foot or just over 10 metres.

Those entering the office will see it at about 2 metres if they look up and focus on it.

Nobody will notice the low resolution.

Most of the printed posters and sign aroung you are printed in this kind of resolution. So you can just take a walk and inspect them.

Happens I just took some photos. This is in Heidelberg, a huge wrap on a gate at a bridge

heidelberg.png

and this is a close-up. The graphic is of course a vector image, the rest is a photo. Don't know which resolution, most probably less than 60 ppi

heidelberg2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful !

I've been searching dropbox for better files and have come across some for the image on the left which had bad resolution. thanks CHMprepress​

Very happy now that I've had two lovely people help me out on my post.

thank you Monika !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

I would still recommend to talk to the print service provider. It's professional to ask about image resolution, it's a common question. Discuss your needs with them and ask for their advise based on their machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There were 2 correct answers on this post. Thanks Mon.

Adobe has only let me select one answer though 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask the service provider about minimum resolution. They know their machines.

But: to view this close enough to actually see pixels, you have to bring a ladder and climb to the sign. So as long as you can recognize a boat up there you should be fine. I'd rather worry about the size of the logos. Can anyone read them from below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

I'll have to work out the logo scenario as there may be more joining the party just yet.

The floating office is on a jetty which rises and falls  about 1.5m. This same sign will be on all three sides ( maybe slightly different designs, but same logos )

thanks for your help. I usually deal with online stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines