• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI Files Opening as Images

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the free trial of Adobe Illustrator and am so excited to start using it! I downloaded some AI files online from a few different sources. Every time I open them, they have the blue cross on it (assuming that means it's an image), and I'm not able to edit the elements of the image. I can't ungroup them or release any clipping masks, so I'm assuming its uploading as an image file (even though every file I've uploaded says it's an AI file...)

I also tried to 3D inflate these files, but I always get the error message: 3D objects only work on some objects and do not work on multiple instances (which provides further evidence to the above problem). 

Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks in advance for the help!

TOPICS
Bug , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the extension at the end of the document name? If it is .ai it should work for you. If it is .jpg or .png, for example, it cannot be manipulated as a vector image, so 3D effects will not work. Be sure to look for .ai files.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And when you have AI files, make sure you open them: File > Open

Not import by dragging them in your existing file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines