• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI Newbie! How do I save a file that needs to be printed with bleeds?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designed a 24x36 inch poster in AI (my artboard was sized to these dimensions). I need to send it to a print center to print (Walgreens, Staples, etc...). The design was created using the "Print" presets when I created the file so it's CMYK rather than RGB which I believe is what I need for printed items. I created a .25 bleed around the entire document. When I save the file as a 300dpi JPG, it looks a little odd, like it won't print out right. There is a large white space on the right side of the design that shouldn't be there. I've Googled info to try to figure out how I need to save it but I'm either not Googling the right terms or the info just isn't out there. Can anyone help me understand how to set up/save my design to send to print? The file size seems awful large to me too... 20.3MB 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Sometimes hidden elements will rasterize and you'll see a big chunk of white space, in your case it is on the right side.  This could be due to a mask of the background image texture.  It could also be something as small as a "period" text item floating off the artboard.  What I typically do is set my artboard size about 3" larger than the final document ( 27 x 39 ).  Adjust the background to go beyond the 24 x 36 ad then create my own custom clip or trim marks.  Because this will be printed ink

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save it as a PDF with bleed.

Don't save a JPEG or other raster format, because that lowers your quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I had read somewhere to save it as a PDF that way, but when I did that I wasn't able to upload that type of file to the Walgreens print center, so I figured I was wrong. I guess I need to try somewhere like Staples since Walgreens probably only does photo type stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The standard format for print is PDF, you can save the file using the PDF/X1a preset (using save as command). Be sure mark the "Use document bleed setting" option.

If you use jpg format the color will be RGB (Among other problems) but if you need use this format then you need to make the artboard bigger adding the bleed size, this is because the jpg export filter doesn't support the bleed option.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes hidden elements will rasterize and you'll see a big chunk of white space, in your case it is on the right side.  This could be due to a mask of the background image texture.  It could also be something as small as a "period" text item floating off the artboard.  What I typically do is set my artboard size about 3" larger than the final document ( 27 x 39 ).  Adjust the background to go beyond the 24 x 36 ad then create my own custom clip or trim marks.  Because this will be printed inkjet, use a medium output resolution and image resolution.  That will keep your overall file size down.  I also set an invisible holding line to the artboard size of 27 x 39 and Lock it.  Now, if you have the problem I mentioned above about the clipping mask, open your background texture image and crop it to 24.5 x 36.5 @ 150ppi and Place that instead.  Now you will not have a big chunk of white off to the right.  Everything will be contained to your artboard size.  Final step would be to save as > PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This helps a whole lot! I think I got it now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines