• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alignment of stroke for graphics saved in the library

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am starting a project of creating floor plans in Illustrator. I had intended to create elements such as a windows, doors and furniture and save as library graphics. The problem I have encountered is when you save the graphic into the library, the stroke is moved to the outside  (as opposed to the centre which is what I use in my work). This means I have an issue when aligning objects. The objects are aligned correctly when looking at the outline view (see right in attached file) but not when looking at the preview view (see left). When using 'align to point', this is not working as the strokes are aligned differently. I hope this all makes sense. I just need both views to be correct, so I can be sure that everything is aligned correctly. Thanks for any guidance.

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example of the problem?

Save the .ai file as .pdf to attach it in a forum post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tom

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. Your help is much appreciated.

I am attaching the ai file with the issue outlined.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.
Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

file attached. This is a PDF. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I suppose you dragged the Library item to the Illustrator or artboard.

This makes a link to the library item. If you expand or embed the linked object, you expand a PDF version of the CC library item, resulting in a clipping group and losing the original Illustrator editability.

Try Alt dragging or Place Copy from the library to place the Illustrator content instead of the PDF version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears your objects are placing according to the bounding box of the library graphic. Your stroke width is increasing the size of the bounding box accordingly, so when your try and align the object it's using this larger bounding box, hence your strokes aren't where you are expecting them to be. If you are simply dragging from the Libary, it "links" the object (which is why you see a box with an X, instead of incorporating it as a copy of the vector objects. To do that, hold down the option/alt-key when you drag the object from the library. (or right-clock and select "place copy")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brad and Ton
I appreciate your time and expertise.

The issue I have is that I want the graphic to be linked. I probably should have told you what I'm aiming to achieve.
The floorplans I will be putting together (I won't be starting until next week but i want to tie down the workflow by the weekend) will comprise of a number of graphic elements (furniture, doors and windows) which I will probably need to edit once the client messes about with the design. So I want a master graphic for each item, which I can edit the size, stroke and stroke colour. I have used symbols in the past but I have been told libraries are the way to go. I will look into the issue tomorrow.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand your intent. However, this is not a good way to work with te lkind of drawing you want to create. Unfortunately, you are creating your own problem. Linked images deal with the bounding box, so if your object has a stroke of 1pt, your bounding box will be .5 pt bigger all around. You will have to take this into account every time you place one, e.g. by manually skootching the graphic over .5 pt to match up with your other lines. You are very much better off using the place copy route.

Then there's the issue if that library object ever gers edited, where all your previous artwork could now be affected in some way when the graphic updates. This is a precarious way to work, especially if you are working with a team. It only takes one person to mess things up, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines