• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

all files open as "Preview"

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything i attempt to work on, opens as preview. i cant make any changes or adjustments to any files. How do i fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHich version?

Which system?

What kind of files do you open?

When you go into outline mode: are there paths?

What exactly do you mean "they open as "preview""?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're working on a Mac. EPS files will open by default in Preview.

Select any of the files that is giving you an issue. Press Command-I.

This will open the Info window for the file.

In the "Open with" section, choose Adobe Illustrator. Then press the Change All button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I have been trying it for months. My files cannot be double clicked on the desktop if I want them to open in the native app. I have to open the app then go to open and search for the file I want to open. Please advise. I am on a Imac with 10.13.2 high sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which kind of files?

Which version of Illustrator?

Have you already tried assigning Illustrator as the default app for AI filetype?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica, I am referring to PSD and AI files all Creative Cloud. How do i  assign illustrator as a default app for the AI file type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right -click a file in the Finder

Get Info

Select the desired application

Choose for all programs

If it doesn't work, then show the Get Info window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read Jeff's instructions. They are the same as mine. (Sorry, Jeff!)

Show the Get Info window with an Illustrator file selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I did all of the above, NOTHING will make a permanent change to how my files open in preview. That is the only consistent my files all open in preview. Is there a file preferences I need to set? Weird as I have been on Mac for decades and never had this issue before. I am thinking it's a CC issue, that is the factor that is "new".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1960sgal  wrote

YES! I did all of the above,

Did you show the Get Info window with an .ai file selected? If so, I must have missed it.

Also, check that you are working as an administrator in Users and Groups and have the rights to make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1960sgal  schrieb

YES! I did all of the above, NOTHING will make a permanent change to how my files open in preview.

You're referring to Preview, the application?

Can you please describe step by step what you are doing? And how files are opened? And what about "permanent"?

There have been issues with Firefox interfering with the Mac OS Launch Services Database. So we need to know if your issue is related to that or if you're talking about something completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the AI file on your desktop : Go to File: Get info: (command I)

And choose open with Adobe Illustrator... (see screenshot)

Do the same to JPEG or PNG files and tell them to open in Photoshop!

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 17.47.21.png

chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica, Previous to High Sierra I was able to double click on a psd, or ai and have the correlating app open.  Now the same action opens preview only. YES, I have done the "get info", Control Click, and clicked the change all multiple times.

I have been told by a Facebook friend that It is possible that Firefox is the issue, I am not familiar with Mac OS Launch Services Database, or what you are referring to. If the issue is Firefox, that seems odd to me since I am working on my desktop, in my studio, not online, not in a network or anyplace where there would be a conflict in administrator of Users and Groups. This is a home studio using Creative Cloud.

Can you please expand upon what I need to do to get the apps to open when the icons are double clicked - while using Firefox as my browser? I still don't see the relation between my web browser and the desktop apps.

You kind help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Firefox issue is described in this thread (post #53)

Re: Why does everything want to open in Illustrator?

There might also be issues with the Launch Database getting corrupt. There are threads on the Apple forums about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has your problem been solved? because i have the same problem here.. all my AI files become GPU preview and all text become outline.. packaing.PNGtexttooutline.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and all things becomes one line/path, it supposed to be like this lines2.PNG, all of them becomes like this instead lines.PNG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see what's wrong. Please tell us more details. And describe step by step what you are doing and what is happening. Also: your version and system.

Also: please create a new thread. This one is four years old and probably doesn't even discuss your issue (you have WIndows and this thread is about Mac OS and an ancient version of Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines