• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Ann] Design effect - image made of perfectly arranged circles

Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever wondered how to perfectly fill an outline with touching circles? I did -- after seeing the example image in Solving design effect - image made of perfectly arranged circles.

It took me a while to get the proper calculations, but -- Here It Is! A Javascript, written for Illustrator CS4 (it might work on other versions as well), that fills a selected outline with circles. Download zipped script from my site: #1 http://www.jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill.zip #2 (https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7cf1dee2-08bc-435f-6fbc-546d36937712) unpack if necessary, and put it in your Illustrator Scripts folder to make it available the next time you run Illy, or anywhere else (you have to browse for it each time).

Select any path -- but no live text, please; you have to convert it to outlines and select each character in turn. Then run the script.

It displays a simple dialog, where you can set a maximum and minimum circle size as a percentage of the selected object size. In addition, you can select either a plain basic color, or select any of your current Swatch Groups; in that case, each of the circles are filled with a random color from that group.

The script may take a while to run. Usually, only a couple of seconds for a simple rectangle, but it may run into minutes for objects with lots of curves and/or holes. I didn't have the guts to run it on a vectorized world map, to recreate Mario "Quasimondo" Klingemann's Foam World Map; but, in theory? Possible.

This image only took a few minutes:

Screen shot 2010-10-02 at 1.13.36 AM.png

Enjoy, everyone!

{Script Download Link option Updated by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Lisapru, with a little help from pixxxel schubser in the Illustrator Scripting​ forum, I've updated the script and uploaded it again onto my site. Check if it behaves correctly now.

http://jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Hi @TeeStore5E0C and @Long98A1,

Thank you for reaching out. I have added a second option to download the script created by OP @Jongware.

I hope it helps.

Thanks & regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing a similar issue when I try to use the latest version of the script with Illustrator CC 2017. However I get the following:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 2.38.14 PM.png

Love to help more let me know if you'd like me to test anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnks good job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you please explain how to do this to texts. I am trying to do this to texts, but it is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yusufa,

"Hi, can you please explain how to do this to texts. I am trying to do this to texts, but it is not working."

As I (mis)understand it, you are trying in vain with live Type. This is what the OP says about it:

Select any path -- but no live text, please; you have to convert it to outlines and select each character in turn. Then run the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I would like to generate an isihara-picture for red/green colorblind people. We are doing a quick workshop to wake the awareness of A11y of all kinds and this would illustrate it pretty cool.

Just to be sure - would this script work in Photoshop CC2018 too? I get that nasty error21 at line 11  8-/

Here's what I did:
I put in some text. I transformed it to "form", then selected each letter with the path-tool. I then opened file -> scripting -> opened the script and got the error.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-25 um 14.43.08.png

Would I have to put a layer underneath with the circles? Thanks for the help
Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, this is an Illustrator script only. Scripts are written for one type of software only, because each software has a different purpose and so it has its own set of commands. Theoretically it should be possible to rewrite this script to work in Photoshop, but it has been too long ago for me to try that. (Although – funny fact – the very first Adobe scripting I ever did was for Photoshop. But that was near the turn of the century...)

I'd also not recommend using Photoshop for your purpose, unless you indeed must have a raster image as a result. If this is going to print, use Illustrator! Or even when you're going to spread your document around as a PDF. This preserves the circles as vectors, meaning they will stay circle-like even when zoomed in.

If you do need a raster image, you still can create it in Illustrator and then export as PNG, GIF, or JPEG, and it should also be possible to copy-and-paste the Illy artwork into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theunis,

I have just posted (yet again) in defence of you and many others here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/back-room/scripting-subforums-title-changed-by-mod/td-p/10743619

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a plugin/script similar where intead of circles, I can select a bunch of objects from the canvas and have those randomly fill inside the vector? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does someone perhaps know of a script which works like this but with path objects. What I'm looking for is a scripts which basically fills an artobard with a given set of path objects. The solution I'm looking for is that the script should check what the optimal method is for filling the cardboard with scaling. BUt it can do rotation and and flipping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The solution I'm looking for is that the script should check what the optimal method is for filling the cardboard with scaling. BUt it can do rotation and and flipping"

This is called nesting. Software that can do it is usually quite expensive, although there is also opensource software available. In Illustrator you could try the plugins ColliderScribe (but doesn't work automatically) or Stipplism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did anyone solve Error 8705 on CC2020?

I tried all verisons but with no luck...
Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 10.02.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to system download this circle for AI CC softwer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the script and I opened "File/Scripts/Other Scripts" in illustrator
and it didn't load in "File/Scripts" and showed me this messageimage_2020-12-04_174850.png

Can you help me please??..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: andI restrated the illustrator and i didn't find it tooimage_2020-12-04_175419.png
and idk what should I do...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(untestet)

You have a "filled" shape - not an outlined one. Try swapping the fill and stroke with [Shift + X] and running the script again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I forgot: your shape should be a path or a compound path.

Please make sure that you have not selected a group!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jongware,

Thanks for creating the awesome script for illustrator. I've just installed and played around with the script, it's exactly what I was looking for Thanks. In the the example below:

https://stock.adobe.com/ie/images/co2-gas-cloud-covid-mosaic-icon-co2-gas-cloud-collage-is-organized...

I would like more objects inside the shape. At the moment the script it's not populating the whole shape. is it possible to achieve that result?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is not working. Someone please help me, i need this badly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the link(s) do work, all four of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is dead. Anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TeeStore5E0C and @Long98A1,

Thank you for reaching out. I have added a second option to download the script created by OP @Jongware.

I hope it helps.

Thanks & regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download this script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying to define some »color-blind charts« procedure, the CircleFill script won’t prompt me with a dense enough result. See attached screenshot.

Any catch to go about this?

Thanks

Klus_0-1707686225181.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines