• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply Gradient across stroke not working now?

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Illustrator to CC and now my apply gradient to stroke is acting funny (also does it with apply along stroke). First i can't get it to show up unless I find a number it likes (start out with 1 pt, don't see a stoke so increase size 1 pt at a time up to 11 to see it) now the corners have gotten strange, They seem to be missing small patches. Any idea what's causing this?  You can see in the image I am not doing anything fancy, it's type and then just to make sure it wasn't a font problem I tried just a rectangle. It seems to be worst with corner set to round joint.

bj_sample.png

TIA,

LVChris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this make it clearer? I am phone with Adobe now on hold

Ill_bug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the stroke panel, try matching the Cap and Corner with each other. Either both left, both middle or both right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Larry that didn't fix it. Sent the files to Adobe for review. Anyone elese reproduce this problem?

It's easy to test;

1. create a rectangle

2. add a fill and stroke

3. change the stroke to a gradient and make it big enough to see

4. change the stroke cap to round and cap corner to round join

5. change the gradient to apply gradient along stroke or across stroke

I do this to nearly everything and have been for years...very strange problem

I also just made the same object in CS6 and it worked flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see this as well. Works in CS6, doesn't work in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I have made Adobe aware of it, and have yet to hear back from them about it....making it hard for me to make a profit using this software now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no word from Adobe, although I did get a nice notice to say that  because they have heard nothing from me they would like to close my case in 5 days. Of course there is still no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow this is really bad, a bunch of Adobe updates today but no Illustrtator fix?

Isn't this bothering EVERYONE? Or am I the only person using gradients on strokes with rounded corners?

I have been on the phone with Adobe 5 times, they are able to reproduce the probelem EXACTLY!It was NOT broken in CS6.

I even tried to expand the gradient and delete the odd points so I could hand draw it in...what a mess that makes. There are not really points there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does someone have a work around for this? Adobe confirmed it as a bug and has their top people working on it....but I still don't have a fix or a workaround (except to use CS6) How are all of you working without this? Now today CC is updated but not .ai....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, not sure if there has been an update since, but if i follow your steps exactly, it works, but i can't get it to work with a rounded rectangle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the rounded rectangle an Effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the round corners effect and at any size larger than 1 pt the problem goes away. It also does not show up on a rounded rectangle...however if I delete 1 point of the rounded corner and convert the anchor point to corner it comes right back. 

So this really won't help a complex shape or a font, the rectangle was just a simple exmple I posted. No Adobe has not updated it and still no work-around...60 days after the bug was reported....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...Adobe has released updates for just about evry piece of software they make EXCEPT ILLUSTRATOR! The one that actually has an active bug that is costing users time and money...Every morning I run to my PC hoping for an adobe update...maybe tomorrow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome...17.01 update finally and the bug is STILL THERE! come-on Adobe, I know you have a monopoly on digital illustration software, but please take care of your supporters. Just fix this one little tiny bug please I am begging you.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go again...new update to illustrator adding new features, but completely ignoring a bug that was ADDED by an update (meaning it worked before and an update broke it).

So I report a bug in June, they update the app 3 or 4 tiimes and have yet to fix it?  Yet I keep paying...damn monopoly.

Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. I jumped on the CC bandwagon when CS6 was rolled out. Found a bug in AICS6 that has been acknowledged but never fixed. Gone are the days of "voting" for a new version by "buying" it. We are held hostage by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...finally fixed....or...avoided...New Illustrator, great new features, no more problem with gradient across or along stroke. But guess why?

ADOBE DISABLED THE ABILITY TO ALIGN A GRADIENT STROKE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE PATH!

You can only do that centered on the path...problem fixed...sort of.

At least I can work around it now...by using offset path effect..

Come on Adobe...I know you can fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Update and it's still broken...

It's funny how if I select apply gradient across stroke on the gradient palette the align stroke on the stroke palette becomes inactive.

BUT

If I do it the other way..I select align stroke to outside (or inside) on the stroke palette the gradient palette still shows all choices as active? Of course clicking them does nothing.

Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this rate it's looking to be unlikely that it's ever going to be restored to how it first worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, and it's hard to believe how much time I have spent explaining the exact problem and how to reproduce it to so many Adobe technical support staff. Not sure why they would add new features when there are KNOWN bugs to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so buggy...now I cant get a gradient on a stroke to scale or move? The gradient tool has no control. I just get the crosshair with the slashed circle saying it's not possible...how odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does this problem keep getting worse instead of better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted to CS5 and cancelled CC subscription. I'd rather live with the limitation of CS5 than continuously fight with new bugs in the latest versions. I have to say. I'm very please with features and productivity of CS5. And I don't have to continuously pay for the privilege of using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way to go Adobe....full new release. A year and a half of my money..and still can't do gradients on strokes correctly. Bug report submitted a year ago, numerous chats, posts on message boards..etc. But at least you made sure I can buy your stock photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely frustrating. I am able to apply gradient across stroke, but only on occasion. I feel as if I'm lucky when it works! I did a quick Google search to see if there was something I was missing, then was directed to this Thread. I can't believe this was a known issue for almost 2 and a half years and still hasn't been permanently fixed! Does anyone know of a way to work around this without downgrading to CS5? I would greatly appreciate any help one can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines