Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

arc radius

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been given a lable to draw for a sticker.  I have been given the arc radiues but I'm unsure how to input this value to create the art?  Thank you! image0 (1).jpeg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

figure out what units that drawing is supposed to represent (because there are no units there)...

Then grab your circle tool and click on the drawing area. In the dialog that opens, input 1030pt into the "width" and "height" fields. then click ok. now you have a circle with a radius of 515pt (use whatever unit you want.. pixels are the same as points.. you can also input other units like mm, inches, etc.

then select that circle, and go to the Object menu, and select Path > Offset Path. Then

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been given a label to draw for a sticker.  I have been given the arc radius's but I'm unsure how to input this value to create the art?  Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figure out what units that drawing is supposed to represent (because there are no units there)...

Then grab your circle tool and click on the drawing area. In the dialog that opens, input 1030pt into the "width" and "height" fields. then click ok. now you have a circle with a radius of 515pt (use whatever unit you want.. pixels are the same as points.. you can also input other units like mm, inches, etc.

then select that circle, and go to the Object menu, and select Path > Offset Path. Then enter 65 [units] into the dialog and click ok. Now you'll have two circles with radii that match the scale of the drawing. then you just need to figure out the width and trim the rest of the circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I really apprectiate this!  The units are mm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kandice,

In addition to what Dilliam said, I believe you need a clarification about the sides of the label:

Are they really meant to be parallel, as in drawing an Arch for a flat or cylindrical object with a more curved bottom, or directed towards the centre of the circle(s), as in drawing an Arc for a normal conical object (icecream cone rather than bottleneck)?

In either case, the horizontal distance between the sides at top/larger circle is 179.2785, in other words quite close to the 180. You can use 180 (or 179) for the width.

For the given (unknown) unit, you can proceed as follows to create the label with artwork in one go:

For a normal Arch (without the more curved bottom, which you can apply afterwards, if you must, otherwise you need a customized way which will alsi look funny (maybe both hah hah and peculiar)), you can create a rectangle that is 180 (or 179) wide and 65 tall, then use that as the boundary for the label with or without a stroke, then create the artwork unbent, then Group and apply Arch with a Bend of 10%.

For an Arc, you can create a rectangle that is 160 (or 159) wide and 65 tall, then use that as the boundary for the label with or without a stroke, then create the artwork unbent, then Group and apply Arc with a Bend of 10%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much I really appreciate this.  The units are mm!  But I think I can figure it out based on all the help I have received on this post. Forever grateful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Kandice.

I have assumed that you need to create both the label and the artwork bent to match and fit.

Hence the ways to do everything in one go, with everything bent in one and the same transformation, either Warp>Arch or Warp>Arc, my guess being the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kandice,

Here is what I described for the label with artwork in one go, shown as Arch and Arc:

Click/RightClick to get closer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bored, me? No...

180.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for some reason i have a strong urge to automate the drawing of that diagram... But i can't think of a reasonable use case for a function that draws that. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

came back to say this is awesome. and thorough. and awesome.

it's ok to do stuff like that. you don't need to be bored to justify finding enjoyment in doing some mental exercise in pursuit of helping a fellow human. You never see someone paddling a canoe and saying "what? i was bored". Because we accept paddling a canoe as a standard hobby. I think the world would be better off if more people viewed solving technical problems and creating clean and easy to read representations of the solution as a hobby.

This drawing is just as much "art" as most any art i see. It's art and math together, and that's beautiful. So don't ever feel like you owe some kind of explanation for why you spent time to make it. Even if you were just kidding. I want to reinforce the message for everyone. Things like this are good practice for your brain and your technical skills and we would all benefit from doing exercises like this, especially in this shared environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks mate. I'm now going to spray paint this on a wall somewhere... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think a tattoo would demonstrate more commitment on your part.

how committed are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not very... actually, let's drop the very...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I really apprectiate this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines