• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artboard set up of facing pages that abut?

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a children's book in .ai cs6. I'd like to create a document with 32 pages the way you'd do it in an ID doc. Two facing pages with a top bleed and bleed on left of lefthand pages and bleed on right of righthand pages - but no gap in between them. I originally set it up as just 16 spreads - with bleed all around -- but when I created a PDF to upload to Createspace the document was rejected due to it being 16 pages - as their minimum is 24 - and they require a spread be 2 separate pages.

Is there a way to set my .AI doc up so that it is 32 pages (16 / 2 page spreads)? I'll be producing many of these books and would love to cut an ID doc / mechanical out of the process! Many thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think you could edit the page setup in acrobat after the fact, but i really don't understand why you'd want to cut ID out of the process. it'll make your life much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug - The reason I'd like to cut ID out of the process is this:

These books are so simple. An image (mostly one across the entire spread) and a single line of text that's set up with paragraph styles. All I have to do is Save a Copy as PDF - and I'm done! Moving it all into ID if it could be avoided would be great.

Aslo I'm not that familiar with ID - not sure if fonts are embedding - frankly  - not sure of what I "don't know, that I don't know," that could bite me in the butt later on.

But mostly - I'll be producing lots of these - so it's immensely preferable to cut the ID step out of the process - if I could do this all in AI with the proper Artboard to PDF workflow. In that case ID adds nothing but extra work and extra possible problems.

Many thanks for your help!

One more reason to skip ID - while it's not such a big deal - it's much easier and much more intuitive to make small changes to art when tweaking (and I AM the queen of tweaking) it's easier to do it in AI - and shift things and instantly see how they look and if I like it or want to command+Z it. IT may not be such a huge deal to use ID's edit original but till not the same at all.

Also - if there are going to be many of these - building a library/file system of AI & PDF files is 2/3's the work if I don't need to add in the ID files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is the tool for this kind of job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks as always, Monica! I feared that this was the answer. But . . . a girl can hope! ;-/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to summarize - Any way to create 2 facing pages out of a horizontal tabloid Artboard in either AI or in the PDF output of AI file would be heavenly! The spread would have bleed top & bottom and Left & Right but not at center where the pages abut.

I promise to sacrifice several small animals (stuffed only, of course!) to anyone who helps me figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cannot be "figured out" in Illustrator.

It would need some serious intervention into the file format. Maybe a plugin could operate at that level, but maybe not even that.

I don't know of a plugin that does this. Maybe ESKO has this in their suite (but their plugin is about 4 times the price tag of Illustrator itself).

You might want to think about workflows including InDesign.

Sacrificing plushies is an absolute no-go.

The zebras do not approve.

Zebras-kl.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OT,

Love'em, Monika.

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't stop laughing.I recently bought the Astute plugin set (complete) I will email them and see if they have anything like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can have artboards within artboards, have you tried setting up an overall tabloid with two inset artboards with the bleeds you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OHHHHH! I will try that! I knew in the back of my head that you could put an artboard in an art board. I've never dne it but I will go look for instructions online - by any chance would you have a suggestion about where to learn how to do that? Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I tried but it seems as though you cant have artboards with a different bleed setting from the document. Used to be that you could get away with this in AI but not now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! (even in CS6? No go? I even have 5.5.

SFX: Desperate pleading sounds and heart-wrenching whimpering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 can save a multipage pdf out of 1 artboard, using Print Tiles.

Set up your file as described by Larry here and print to PDF (not save as pdf)

How do I create artboards in CS3?

more info here

How to create multi-page PDFs in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines