I'm running CS6 on a Windows 8 machine, laptop.
Today I noticed that my art boards no longer duplicate contents when I alt-click-drag. It was working fine yesterday so not entirely sure whats going on.
It will duplicate the contents if I use the art board toolbar to duplicate the board, but if I just use the keyboard shortcut it just moved an empty art board. Nothing is locked down either. Any ideas??
If things that should work simply refuse to (all possibilities exhausted (and carefully making sure you are performing (all) the needed things)), you may try the list below.
Sometimes, (certain) things may fail or stop working for no apparent reason. When the (other) possible reasons/cures fail to work, it may be some kind of (temporay or permanent) corruption, or even some inconvenient preference setting(s), which may be cured with something on the following list set up in an attempt to provide a catchall solution for otherwise unsolvable cases. It starts with a few easy and harmless suggestions 1) and 2) for milder cases, and goes on with two alternative ways 3) and 4) of resetting preferences to the defaults (easily but irreversibly and more laboriously but more thoroughly and also reversibly), then follows a list 5) of various other possibilities, and it ends with a full reinstallation 6). If no other suggestions work, or if no other suggestions appear, you may start on the list and decide how far to go and/or which may be relevant.
The following is a general list of things you may try when
A) The issue is not in a specific file,
B) You have a printer correctly installed, connected, and turned on if it is physical printer (you may use Adobe PDF/Acrobat Distiller as the default printer with no need to have a printer turned on, obviously you will need to specify when you actually need to print on paper), and
C) It is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media (see at the bottom).
You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt/inconvenient preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.
If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.
1) Close down Illy and open again;
2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);
3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);
4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), for CS3 - CC you may find the folder here:
5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);
Even more seriously (this may be serious because you may need to restore plugins and whatnot afterwards if you have customized things), you may:
6) A) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences if applicable), B) run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and C) reinstall. You may try without step B), but sometimes it is needed, because otherwise things may linger.
Probably you have disabled the option to duplicate the objects.
Select the Artboard tool and see if the corresponding button is disabled in the contextual toolbar.
Yep that did it! I must have hit a hot key or something and not realized it. How could I miss that !?!?! Thanks a bunch!!!
The Solution for this to select the artboard and then on the top main menu, beside the right hand side of name of the artboard - there's an icon that says 'Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard' upon hovering over. You need to ensure that is turned on. That's a must!
The above solution should work 100% - alternatively you can go to 'Window' on the top menu and select 'Artboard' - once you see the artboard pop-up on your screen, you can click on 'Re-arrange Artboards' from the dropdown list and ensure that 'Move Artwork with Artboard' id checked off.