• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

asset export - can the asset name pickup the layer's name automatically ?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

i've spend quite some time to name my layers with good, make-sense names and when I try to export Illustrator call them 'asset 1', asset 2', etc.. !

I know i can rename them but it's really annoying and time consuming as I have hundred of assets to export !!

can it pick up the name of the top layer automatically ?

thanks !

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you are trying to export assets with layer names. This might be possible through scripting. I am moving this discussion to Illustrator Scripting​ forum so that you can get some more responses from our scripting experts.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is VERY annoying trait of the poorly implemented Asset Export 'feature' that barely works and is never updated. 

You CAN get the layer name - but NOT in any of the ways you'd expect. You have to select the layer and click the export layer button at the bottom of the layer palettle. Hope that helps. 

(You may notice however, that if your layers are nested more than one deep, your exports may be broken and add tons of space and random things to it. Very broken.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the layer exporter script: https://gist.github.com/TomByrne/7816376

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

I have exactly the same problem. I am trying to find a way to save files with layer names. This tool (Asset Export) works perfectly, but renaming is a pain 😞 Did you find a solution? If not, I'm serious about learning about scripting just to create a script to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Voysla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renaming the Assets already in the Assets panel is not possible, but naming Assets that we add to the Assets panel is doable via scripting. 

Can you share screen shots of your layers expanded and explain where the Asset names should come from?

some users often refer to objects as layers (not you, in general).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for the quick response 🙂

I solved this problem last night. Now I will try to describe the solution:
Yes, I thought the assets take their names from the layer names. But I was wrong. Since assets take names from the names of objects (groups). Since my groups had no names, the assets were named aaset1, asset2, etc. To solve this problem, I simply created a new layer and dragged all the named layers into it. Thus, when creating assets, they were named as I wanted.

0fc0c-clip-176kb

Hooray!

Good luck to all! Hope this will be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic fix – many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just what I needed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome, thanks for posting your solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines