• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto nesting objects

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some way (script / plugin?) to auto nest objects on page?

In other words, to place all objects as tight as possible to eachother.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmtetard,

If I understand it in the right way, you may Group and Ungroup (Ctrl/Cmd+G and Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best u can do is select all and distribute spacing to key object ammount 0.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm affraid i didn't explain it very well.

See the following image what i mean.

Every object is put as close as possible to eachother to save media space.

The image is an example for technical drawings, but my goal is use it for our large format printer.

Our rip software that controls the printer does have an autonest feature, but it can only use the bounding box instead of the actual dimensions of the object.

http://www.autonest.de/images/Anest-Layout-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm sure there is no standard way in Illy: But it may be scriptable!

Start a new discussion: Objects to fit gapless script (eg)

or try on the scripting forum

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i see.

I don't really need this function, but it would come in handy every now and then. I'll stick with manual nesting then as it's not worth it to have a custom build script for this.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are software programs that do exactly that, and many thesis written about how to approach non-rectangluar bin packing algorithms.  Many use some form of genetic algorithms and are not trivial to write.  I would not want to tackle something like that in a scripting language.

I am curious though.  I work for a rip software company and we have an autonesting feature.  Because we print images, and images are rectangles, we've never had the need to write the algorithm that you're in need of.  What is your rip software ripping, if not rectangular images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Meate

Our rip software (Wasatch Softrip) uses rectangles too. In most cases this is good enough (and allow easy cutting), but some cases where cutting isn't needed, tighter fitting would be helpful if available. See simple example in attachment.

But like i said, i was just checking if some script existed already. If not, it's not worth writing one for the rare occasions it would be helpful.

nesting.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is handy for sign makers when you have a media that is 54 inches or 30 inches wide you want to nest several things as close as possible so you don't waste media space or when using a plotter.

I've worked with large format printers like the Roland, and the Roland software lets you nest multiple projects. This would be really handy. If i find the answer i will share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/NJ+Creative+Studio  schrieb

If i find the answer i will share it.

Just read the post above yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are CAD program plug-in/add-on tools to yield what you want...used in CAD to make patterns with least waste of cutout materials....may be expensive in total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collision detection method would be a welcomed addition to the AI Javascript model. It would merely serve as a "poor man's substitute" for problems like that described, but would also be very useful for many practical things involving scripted selections.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is what you need :

http://illustrator.e-cut.ru/

It has true shape and rectangle nesting feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pavel, i notice you are the programmer of this software.

It looks promising, but unfortunately i can't test it since there seems to be no mac version (yet?).

I'm also curious about what the pricing will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Sorry, but there will be no Mac version.... - only windows.

Price will be not high ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about after I have a nested file made with "symbols" objects. Can I populate each symbol with new images by dragging them into the symbol drop down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show what it looks like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(www.Deepnest.io ) works for windows and Mac a free nesting program works awesome trueshape and block nesting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It *is* quite cool (as is the standalone version), but it doesn't respect grouping, which makes is much, much less useful when laying out objects that have "internal" features (e.g., cutouts). Going back in and manually lining things up really isn't a viable option for anything other than very simple designs unless I MechTurk/etc. it, which I cannot do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried making a compound shape in stead of groups. use the shortcut (CTRL+8) on a numpad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Highly recommended this plugin for Adobe Illustrator
https://ainest-pro.com/en/
Screenshot_7.pngScreenshot_6.pngScreenshot_5.pngScreenshot_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines