Exit

automatically fit text to a box in illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have a question.

If i have a fixed box size in one of my designs can i somehow make different length of text fit automatically into that box?

I know how to resize the box to fit the text but im after the opposite. So far i have'nt seen any information about it. 

Best regards

Bepees

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Silly-V  whom I belive is Vasily Hall might be able to help as that is his expertise.

The script on this page or the git hub newer version do not work in the latest Ilustratot for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a sketch that may explain exactly what kind of result you are looking for?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what i wish to achieve. (see attached picture)

I want to be able to copy past names into a box and that the names  are automatically adjusted to fit the box.

Best regards.

Bepees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is for a visual appearance you can do this in the Appearance panel. THis works best for point text. That is, text made by clicking with the text tool so the text has no margins.

In the Appearance panel add a Fill and drag it below the Characters line in the Appearance panel. With that fill selected go to Effect > Convert to Shape > Rectangle. Turn on preview and adjusttherelative size of the rectangle to get he size you want. Click OK. If you want a stroke then add a Stroke in the Appearance panel. Hold Option or Alt and drag the Rectangle effect into the Stroke line. This will duplicate the effect.

You now have a live text object with a fill and stroke that will scale to the size of the text. You can make this a Graphic Effect and apply it with a click to any text. As an effect is can be edited to make global changes.

Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 1.09.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer,

The thought behind it all is to cut time making the designfiles for our engravery machines by just copy pasting the names then save the file. Then insert it into our machines. Not sure if the graphical effect would work. But the rest should be easy to fix with a macro,

Best regards

Bepees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So.. First of all thank you all who replied to my question.

After some testing, googling, testing again,  it seems that in illustrator we can only adjust the box to fit the text.

I want to acheive the opposite. i want to fit the text to a specified box.

If anyone has any ideas how to achieve this it would be highly appreciated.

Have a great day!

//Bepees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines