• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automating color changes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a design that has 7 color palette variations. There are about 8 layers that each need the color changed in each file. So this takes me about 20 minutes to do all 7 files manually. I have many files that these colors will be applied to. If this could be automated, it would be a huge time saver. 

Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains how I could script/automate this process? I'm not a coder but willing to try anything if there's good explanation.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @glooft 

Could you please share some sample files, how layers are arranged. A more description will be really helpful.

To start learning the scripting, you can refer the following documentation

https://ai-scripting.docsforadobe.dev/

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:794e38f4-7cc7-4c7d-8339-ecf7302e8897?view=difile

This is one color palette of the seven. Each layer in this file needs the color changed and saved into a new file. I have a text file that has the hex value for each palette. 

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what new colors would you like to use. For an example, X color must be replaced by Y color. 

Do you have some mapping of these?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charu, but Recolor Artwork seems to be the right tool for the job.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @glooft, this might be something you could do with the Recolor Artwork command (Edit menu). Try googling for video tutorials—I found plenty when I looked just now.

Otherwise, can you share two sample files: before and after you have manually changed colors? Samples don't have to be the real thing, but must be set up with the same color types. That will help us understand specific details.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark. Recolor Artwork appears to be what I'm looking for based on a few experiments. No scripting necessary. Wish I knew about this earlier.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the sample file. Here's what I'd do, but let me know if I've misunderstood your situatiuon.

1. Create a master colors document.

2. Set up your palettes as Color Groups containing Swatches, eg. 5 swatches per color group see screenshot.

3. Make little shapes on the artboard filled with each color. Group them together for convenience.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.23.48.png

4. Open the document you want to recolor.

5. Copy and paste the little color chips (ie. the squares in screenshot above) from your master document, into this document.

6. Delete the color chips from the re-colouring document (we only pasted them to transfer the colour group).

7. Select all the artwork you want to recolor.

8. Choose Recolor Artwork from Edit Menu and click "Advanced"

9. Select the Color Group on the right.

10. Arrange the order of the colors on the left. Make sure the right-facing arrows exist by clicking on that area and re-selecting the Color Group on the right.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.19.18.png

11. do that for each document you wish to recolor.

Let me know how you go.

- Mark

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.20.24.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.20.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your steps but when I copy and paste the chips into the new document, the color group does not come with. I know I'm doing something wrong. How do I attach the color groups to the chips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color swatches in your master color document must be "global".

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 14.30.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@glooft if you want, you can check my extensions which works with colors.

There is link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-UqhOkoyg&t=1s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines