• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic tips for the pen tool?

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen tool seems so frustrating to use. It seems really touchy, but it's probably just because I don't how to use it properly. Here are my main issues. I'm gonna use this photo album to kind of explain my problem.

1. How do I switch from curved to straight lines with the pen tool? (Fig. 1).

2. How do I get rid of jagged points like this? (Fig. 2). All I'm trying to do there is create a simple banner.

3. Let's say I make a square using the pen tool (Fig. 3). Let's say point B was my last point. If I were to add another point, it would create a line from there. But how would I select point C and draw a line from there? If I use the pen tool and click on one of the points, it just removes that point. Using the direct selection tool doesn't help any either. Also, if I've deselected that path, how do I select it again and keep working on it? If I select the square and try to use the pen tool, it starts a new path.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First Rule:

Make sure your last selection tool is the direct selection tool. Work only with the Pen tool and go to the Direct Selection tool and the convert Anchor tool via Shortcut.

Command/Control takes you to the last selection tool...

Option/Alt to convert anchor tool

Straight lines to curve.

Curve to Straight lines .

Enclose a template.

And a movie.

No sound... I am at work if you need a longer one with sound will be happy to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot see your link

Maybe key is noticing the little icon next to the tool

for example -  your question 3

if its show + or - and you  don't want that want that ,  hold the shift key down before you click to continue drawing

its not intuitive,

find some videos you like

these are a little old but good

How to Use Illustrator’s Pen Tool Roundup | Illustrator for Fashion Design Courses & Tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines