Exit

Blend Option : non-proportional?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to replicate this artwork :

Blend.jpg

As you can see, it's a series of "dots" on a path, a series of decreasing circle sizes, but for the life of me, I can't figure how to recreate this using Illustrator? I tried creating a Brush to no avail: there are no way to control the spacing between the dots?
I also tried using a Blend but, again, there is no way to control the spacing between the dots? 

On the right of the figure (an old German magazine cover) are three series of "circles".

Under Column A are the two circles I used to create a basic (linear) Blend.
Under Column B is the resulting initial Blend.
Under Column C is the Blend with modified initial and ending "Spine" anchor points, to "increase" and "decrease"' the spacing between the circles.
I thought I had it made when I selected both the oval and the Blend and hit Object > Blend > Replace Spine but doing so resetted the spacing between circles to a constant value??
i'm kind of going in "circle". 

Any help is appreciated. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

blend 2 circles with a dashed line

RvdT_0-1721307480352.png

adjust the spline handle of the blend path

RvdT_1-1721307557580.png

RvdT_0-1721307688314.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to recreate and improve the sample image?

Or do you want to recreate it exactly? In the second case, you will have to do the same as in the original image: set by hand. This is because the spacing is too irregular. This is very much in favor of manually placed dots/circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I was "hoping" I could avoid placing all those dots by hand...
Yes, I would you like to recreate and improve the sample image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a couple of other ways, both using Type on a Path.

Below I used the spacebar to add space between periods.

image.png

And in this second one I used Tab stops.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the plugin Stipplism (not free) and you could have them placed based on a gradient.

https://youtu.be/VTXmxYAIuG0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of creating a Symbol for the dot and using the Symbol Sprayer/Shifter creating something that looks like the model? But I thought it was too much "work"... And not close enough to the model. Still... A very worthwhile introduction to Symbols for the students 🙂
BTW, where does this Plug-in be purchased from? In case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking out Astute Graphics for a whole range of useful add-ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Larry is correct. It's an Astute Graphics plugin. The symbol is needed, because the functionality relies on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roger,

Starting with what you have in C, you can obtain the desired appearance with the one and only:

1 STEP BLEND FAKE:

Once you have obtained the desired blend/blend spacing/appearance and you have the desired spine path (the path to be used as the spine), you can proceed with the following additional steps (always keep a backup of the artwork before you start destroying it:

+1) Expand the Blend if not already (Object>Blend>Expand); skip to +2) if done already, or if the desired appearance is obtained in other way;

+2) Set the Blend options (Object>Blend>Blend Options) with Spacing set to Specified Steps = 1 and Orientation set to Align to Page,
+3) Select all the objects and make the 1 step Blend (Object>Blend>Make), then ShiftClick the desired spine path, then replace the spine (Object>Blend>Replace Spine), this will give you unwanted intermediate objects between the others, but only until step +5;
+4) Expand the Blend (Object>Blend>Expand);
+5) Deselect everything (click an empty spot on the Artboard/work area), then with the Direct Selection Tool ShiftClick each of the unwanted intermediate objects and Delete; the unwanted objects are every other object starting with the second one, you can see the pattern with the first and last object unselected.

This ought to give you the desired appearance with the Objects as a Group.

You can repeat for each circle/ellipse with a desired varying spacing.

In connexion with C, you will need to use two Blends meeting at the middle with the largest spacing in order to obtain a spacing that increases and then decreases.

To do that, you can split the circle/ellipse and reverse one half circle to literally get ends meet in the right way.

There are different was to obtain such appearances, including some that can make the increasing/descreasing spacing to begin with, so you only need one circle/elleipse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Roger Breton 

So you want to rearrange the points. And you want it to be a regular structure?

Then under no circumstances should you consider the ellipses in isolation, but also the radial lines and the centre of the points. Only when you have determined how the points should be rearranged - only then can you think about a workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blend 2 circles with a dashed line

RvdT_0-1721307480352.png

adjust the spline handle of the blend path

RvdT_1-1721307557580.png

RvdT_0-1721307688314.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I think this is it!!! Thank you! See below :

Capture d’écran 2024-07-18 090715.jpg

I noticed that there is no way to "fit" the dots exactly to the original drawing but to demonstrate the technique to my students, this is PERFECT!!!! Wow!!!! I wish I would have thought of it myself 🙂
Kudo to you! I owe you a beer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave it another try. I agree that an exact fit this way is not possible.

RvdT_0-1721310054206.png

You're welcome! Cheers! :beer_mug:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines