• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Border around text box in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I add stroke (line width) and change color to text box frame? I am trying to add a border to the text box without having to add another rectangle behind the text box.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

The easiest way is working with White Arrow (A) - Direct Selection Tool.

Just Select ONLY rectangle (not text and rectangle) and add stroke (F10) or/and fill

That's it

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Area text or point text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Type tool (T)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what kind of text object is it?

You might want to have a look at the documentation: How to create text in Illustrator

In order to answer the question. It's crucial because the proceeding is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to add borders to the labels to a line art drawing. The amount of text causes the blocks change size.  I can place the text as desired but want a simple box around the text that will adjust as the text block changes size. I also want to be able to change color of the border to identify different parts of the drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neils,

As I (mis)understand it, including your using plain Type (neither Type on a Path nor Area Type), also called point type, you may:

1) Select the live Type with the Selection Tool and in the Appearance palette flyout click Add New Stroke;

2) In the Stroke palette set the Stroke Weight and (kind of) Join as desired, and set the colour as desired (Color palette or Swatch or whatever);

3) Effect>Convert to Shape>Rectangle, setting the Relative Extra Width/Extra Height as desired.

This will give you the box as a live effect that adapts to the Type.

You may switch the order of 2) and 3). It is important that (ony) the Stroke is selected (highlighted) in the Appearance palette until you are done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, Jacob! Found it incredibly helpful on my current templating project.

Related question to this... do you know if it's possible to apply a minimum width to a live effect rectangle stroke/fill in Illustrator? My goal is that none of the text box outlines are narrower than 1".

Thanks for any wisdom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, newcat.

I believe it may be worth asking for a script in the scripting forum, unless Carlos or Theunis happen(s) to see this.

Illustrator Scripting

Carlos, Theunis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip; very helpful. To take it a step further, I'd like the container to adjust with the length of the text within. Possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post #5 for instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps and set width/height to relative. Container still doesn't adjust to fit. Could be an issue with my AI install...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use point type, not area type.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it's been 7 years since you posted this, but you saved me. That's exactly what I was looking for ahhahaha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is working with White Arrow (A) - Direct Selection Tool.

Just Select ONLY rectangle (not text and rectangle) and add stroke (F10) or/and fill

That's it

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This got it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I wish I'd asked how to stroke a bounding box about 20 years ago. I'm using AI Cs6 and F10 strokes the bounding box but when only the bounding box is selected the top toolbar changes -- no stroke or fill. I chose a color from the vertical toolbar but is there a way to choose a stroke width?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I scrolled down a way and found the solution: go to Window, open the Appearance panel! (Well-duh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Appearance panel open, use the Direct Selection tool to select just the text box path. That will give you fill and stroke options for the path only, independent of the text..

MaxthonSnap20161228083941.pngMaxthonSnap20161228084017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having trouble selecting the text box with the white cursor it's best practice to click on the corners of the object to make sure you've selected the text box, not the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make the text actually vertically centered. i.e. remove the "descender" part of the bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the baseline and align

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 18.13.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines