• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brand New Mac Studio M2 Ultra (maxed out stats)... Illustrator 27.7 is laggy and slow.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help? (though... I'm not sure what you can do).

I just received my brand new Mac Studio M2 Ultra (maxed out memory and highest processor) running Ventura 13.5. I have installed all my Adobe programs and when using Illustrator 27.7 it's roughly the same speed, beach ball appearance, pausing that I had when i used my old Mac (late 2013 iMac maxed).

This has been tough for me to stomach for many reasons. I expected 'some' kind of speed boost here (especially coming from an old 2013 iMac) or even just a more fluid program use. Now (with a brand new machine) im constantly having to shut everything down and restart to then open up my Illustrator for a smoother workflow until it becomes laggy again .... rinse repeat. 

Now, for perspective, I am working on a file with multiple artboards and a few placed images... but nothing that should tax a brand new juiced Mac Studio. 

I'm frustrated to say the least. Any help would be appreciated... I literally have nothing else running but Illustrator and Mail.

Thanks 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Hello @Seth Sirbaugh@davids82967484@davidp46544262,

We understand how frustrating it can be to experience performance issues in Illustrator. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html) and checking if it helps?

Also, try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Hello @defaultpmg5occbvek8,

We understand how frustrating it can be to experience performance issues while working in Illustrator. Illustrator is natively supported on Apple Silicon (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html). Would you mind trying to manually reset Illustrator's preferences and checking if it helps:

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Ren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Hello @nikb58062351,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Illustrator does use multi-cores in many operations but not all operations, and the product team is prioritizing the ones that are slower. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

If the problem persists, kindly share some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/share-your-files-in-6-simple-steps/td-p/12967531

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh dear, I was about to spend £2600 on a M2 Studio, thinking I'd be getting an amazing performance boost over my 2019 iMac using Adobe CC, but now I'm completely unsure what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found this thread after looking for help wondering why illustrator performance on my new m2 studio is so poor. I thought I must have the optimisation settings wrong, really disappointed to discover that it's not me, it appears that illustrator does not run well on this machine. I have to keep toggling between view with CPU / view with GPU - GPU is smoother but very buggy with the screen flashing and drawings disappearing when I click the menus, objects disappearing when I move them, delays when I select / deselect. CPU view is more reliable but then there is no preview when I drag. I have come from a first generation iMac pro which is about 6 years old and wearing out, performance on that was much, much better. I was expecting a step up, not back. I have a M2 macbook air and performance seems better on that TBH - I've certainly not had any problems, however obvs the screen on that is smaller.

So if you happen to find this thread after buying a new Mac Studio - I'd recommend sending it back if you use a lot of illustrator. Too late for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rogerch, I'm on Mac Studio M2 max and I my Illustrator performance totally changed after:
Go to yourMac's System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Check "Displays have separate spaces"
Secondarily disable all the fonts you are not using, just in case. Tell me if that worked to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Joan,

Many thanks for this - yes this does help, performance is much better with 'Displays have separate spaces' enabled. This is a MacOS feature I don't want as I have three screens, I don't want three menu bars, but I have found if I also choose 'Auto Show/ Hide' menu bar, I only get one, although it does hide it and it would be better for me if it didn't. But the hidden menu bar is less of a pain than the issues I had with illustrator. I will live with this a little bit and see how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines