• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush keeps changing its attributes.

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know why my brush is changing back to 5pt flat, when i start to draw with it?

I choose brush, set it to basic, start drawing and it changes to 5pt flat, or some other brush type.  Grrrrr...

The 'New art has basic appearance' option has been ticked and also not ticked.....

But neither option seems to be working..

Thanks for your ideas....

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally got it....

Let's say you the pencil with a shape that is not uniform or and a brush definition that is not your basic 5 pt.  Or even set the stroke size to something different then 1 pt.

You make that special line and then go to create another and it reverts back to the basic uniform shape with the 5 pt definition.

ANNOYING... especially if you want to keep working with that special size and shape.

It used to be in the preferences.  You could click a square and it would never revert!  Then I think it changed as they mentioned above to the appearance menu.  Which I keep forgetting about and often have the same issue you do.  But I believe unchecking 'New Art Has Basic Appearance' in the appeance menu drop down or what we call the HAMBURGER MENU.  Then it should not revert back to that basic shape!

But I totally get you.  Because it happens to me and then I forget what to do.  Like I said this used to be in the Preferences and then they moved it.  No idea why.  And like I said when that happened I was lost too.  Especially since I am using heavily stylized lines... and to have new lines constantly revert to the basic is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I need the brush tool for my Wacom tablet because I use the pressure sensitive tip. It doesn't matter which brush I'm using- it constantly resets itself to a 3pt uniform stroke. If someone actually has an answer for me, I'd appreciate it- but if someone wants to just sit here and criticize me, then you can keep it to yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem, and the easiest solution I found was to create a new brush just like the basic brush (1pt, uniform, etc...) that illustrator can default back to. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this exact same problem and honestly its kind of infuriating. I have to continue to select my strokes and then change the brush once selected. I shouldn't have to use the pencil stroke in order to accomplish what I'm attempting to accomplish with the brush stroke. Is this just a bug that would be fixed with an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush tool always uses a brush stroke, because only a brush stroke has the potential to pick up the Wacom stylus attributes. The brush tool will always pick up the stylus attributes and save them in the path.

When you don't need a brush stroke, then don't use the brush tool. The pencil tool does exactly the same as the brush tool, apart from picking up the pressure etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue coming up.

This used to be that changing the uniform style would revert my brush to the BASIC OPTION IN THE BRUSH DROPDOWN.

Now it seems that it won't stay on basic at all when I was just using exactly like this for the last year with a default basic line as the brush/stroke.

The workaround I have found comes with creating a new calligraphy brush that is 1PT and round. Then it sticks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem. It's as infuriating as the smart guides not working properly half the time (despite trying EVERY recommendation available online). Just like you, I have a brush selected and set my desired stroke width, yet as soon as I draw a path the path automatically reverts back to a 1pt stroke width. It's incredibly annoying. I've tried the recommended workaround in the appearance panel and it does nothing.

Not sure why there are so many annoying users who only ridicule rather than help. It's very stupid and time consuming that I have to first draw a stroke and have it wider than I'd like, and then have to go back to the stroke width setting and choose my desired .25pt stroke width. This is not an efficient way to work. I don't know if Adobe just doesn't use their own products or just doesn't care, but these constant bugs or unintuitive work methods are moronic to say the least.

There seems to be a lack of common sense when it comes to how some of these tools work. It should be as simple as choosing a brush, setting a size, and drawing a path. It shouldn't require any further steps. I've searched a dozen different threads and all I am finding are "change the setting in the appearance panel" replies, or condescending remarks from no it alls. It sure would be nice if Adobe actually helped their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this too and tested everything. Here's what I found:

With the Brush tool, you can select any brush and it will stay on it, EXCEPT the "Basic" one. If you try to use this, it will let you draw the path, but then revert back to the previously-chosen brush and change the path you just drew to match.

The fact that it's in the brush dropdown menu is a horrible design choice by Adobe and is causing all of the confusion. If you can't use it with a brush, don't let us be able to select it---gray it out if the brush tool is selected and we go into the dropdown.

The "New Art Has Basic Appearance" has no effect on brush selection, only on the pencil and other tools that create paths. If it's on, then no matter what you have selected, it will revert to the basic choices. However, it seems inconsistent about reverting to a stroke of 1---if you have a variable-width path, it will set the stroke to 1; but if not, a different stroke width will be preserved. Seems like a bug to me---all should revert.

If "New Art Has Basic Appearance" is off, you can select any of the brushes (including the "basic" one) and it will stay when you use the pencil, pen, shapes, etc.

At least this is what I found on my system and my version.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know im super late but the fix for me has been to just create a new layer right above your current layer, change the size back to whatever you were using before it switched it to the default, and it should work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has it come to this that I need to read all this information in order to just use a brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

eduardsk83435004  schrieb

How has it come to this that I need to read all this information in order to just use a brush.

Please create a new thread and describe your issue step by step.

We need to know exactly which tool you use with exactly which setting and what Illustrator does instead of what you expect.

This thread is broken beyond repair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines