• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush tool lagging while in pattern making mode

Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working on a pattern. As i'm trying to make it a seamless pattern I want to go into pattern make mode, and while the pattern make mode is on, make adjustments to see how it looks. I want to use the brush tool to draw but it is super laggy when in pattern make mode. I know I could turn it off, but it's really important I see the picture in pattern make mode so I know what i'm doing. If anyone could help I would so appreciate it!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

I've gone and got it sorted out, thought I would say the solution. Because I was using the normal paintbrush, the amount of strokes slowed illustrator down, so by expanding all the same colours and putting them onto a different layer it was making it quicker. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of brush (Calligraphic, Bristle, Pattern, etc)? Can we please see a screenshot of what your brush and artwork looks like? What OS & Ilustrator version?

Reboot and make Ilustrator your only app open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessica24381082ml4r_0-1652128800187.png

So I'm just using the standard paint brush tool brush, whenever I try and add anything in pattern make specifically it will lag. Thank you for helping! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks super detailed.

Unfortunately the forum software doesn't allow to enlarge it the moment due to a bug.

Can you tell us how large this artwork is?

I have tried it out and didn't notice a lag when drawing with the brush in pattern editing mode, even when drawing longer paths. And aleady in a pattern with a more complex design in it.

THis is really the  brush, not the blob brush, right?

What are the specifications of your computer? How much RAM etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork is 12.93cm by width and 8.73cm by height. It is definitely the standard paintbrush tool. I'm really sorry but I don't know enough about computers to do with specifications and RAM, but i've been trying the pattern on different computers - 3 computers with wacoms and a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try this on how to find out the details of your machine:

https://www.bloomberg.com/faq/question/how-do-i-check-my-pc-hardware-specifications/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a look and it says:

Memory: 16 GB

Chip: Apple M1

Displays:EV2460 display

CintiqPro24p Dislay both 24-inch (1920 × 1080)

hope this is ok, I think the memory is the RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The memory is the RAM, yes! Thank you for the specs. They should work - I have just tried on a Mac with the same amount of RAM.

Did you always try with that Wacom? And could you try if the lag is also happening without it (please detach it)? Just to drill down where the lag is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I also tried it on a completely different laptop without a wacom, and I just tried it on the computer screen, same problem! There is no lagging unless I'm in pattern make. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kinds of brushes do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this isn't specific enough, but I haven't changed any kind of brush settings. I'm just using the standard paintbrush tool and the generic basic paintbrush it comes with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've gone and got it sorted out, thought I would say the solution. Because I was using the normal paintbrush, the amount of strokes slowed illustrator down, so by expanding all the same colours and putting them onto a different layer it was making it quicker. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened on 4 different devices so I don't think it is the device, I think it's a thing in illustrator. Illustrator is the only app I have open when I work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines