• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I link an illustrator file in illustrator?

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have repeat graphics the require changes. I only want to make the change once and then have it update all the other ones in the master file. Is this possible?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be a bit clearer. I create graphic A in one document then bring it in multiple times into another document in Graphic B.

Then if a change is required I make it once in graphic A and it updates the multiple times in Graphic B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but make sure you either save-as (or make a change to the second file to force a save request when you close) or else your second doc will NOT update with your changed linked first file in it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can place .ai files with the Link option.

You can also add items to a Creative Cloud Library and drag them in other Illustrator documents.

They will be linked by default (alt drag will use the editable content which does break the link).

Double clicking the item in the CC library opens the item and after editing it will be updated where used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines