• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can see multiple artboards in Thumbnail, but opens to one and can't see there are other in the file

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document I did not create for our logos and it looks like in the Thumnail it's a file with multiple artboards. Great. Less work for me to do. But when I open it up, it opens to just one artboard and I can't see any other artboards or hidden artboards in the file. I'd really not like to start from scratch and have 20 different files. 

multiple artboards.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look in the Artboards panel to see if there is a large artboard behind the others?

Is it an Illustror document or a PDF that you opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! It is an .eps file that I opened. It's a series of logos with various color versions. I opened one and when I see the thumbnail both in Windows and in the Illustrator recent files, it looks like it's about 20 total artboards, but it only ever opens to one singular artboard. The artboard panel only shows one artboard. 

arboard 2.pngmultiple artboards.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could explain it.

It is not the Illustrator file that you are opening (Illustrator can save an additional .ai file in an eps), but just the EPS. You will need to recreate the artboards and save as .ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! i came across this thread also wondering where are all the artboards from the preview? if they aren't in the file, why do they show up? (i am also opening the eps file in illustrator.) thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview in the OS is just an embedded image in an EPS. It might not reflect the current state of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @atomic graphics,

Thanks for reaching out. As suggested by Monika, the embedded images in the EPS files might not reflect the current state of your work on it. You may try using Adobe Bridge (https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/get-started.html) to get accurate previews of not just EPS files but PDF, PSD, Ai, Id, RAW files, and many more.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I like to work within one Illustator file with multiple artboards and use save as to generate multiple Illustrator files. I don't use Bridge to manage my files and I certainly can't force my clients to use it. One of my clients has a custom system where they use the embedded thumbnail to look at the files. By default the embedded thumbnail shows the original document with all the artboards. 

Why can't Illustrator just generate the correct thumbnail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to work fine with 27.2. I used PDF compatible and save each artboard to a separate file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Ton,

Do you use a Mac? Because I know Mac OS shows a correct preview of the file.

Its on Windows that the thumbnails are wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a Mac. I suppose that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And modifying (like moving an element and back again) and resaving these files again, would that work? A batch action could do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I made a little action that creates a shape and then deletes it again and and after saving the file has the correct thumbnail. I've been using this as a batch action and it works. But I do wonder why this extra step is necessary when it's something that could be solved with such a simple action script. When working with a lot of files it's a hassle to have to do that every time. Another thing: if you save the files on your Mac you will see a correct preview in the Finder, but send them to someone with a Windows PC and they won't see the correct thumbnail.  All reasons why I feel this should just be done when saving the file in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very strange that correct Mac previes change on Win.

You may want to do a feature request/bug report here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines