• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Move Object in Illustrator CC2020 Using Mouse on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot move any items in Illustrator using the mouse to drag the items, I can only move them using the arrow keys. Even if I open up a new document and place in a new object, I cannot open it, so it is not a problem specific to my file. None of my objects are locked. I do not have any hidden dialouges. I've already tried restarting Illustrator, resetting my preferences, etc. None of it works.

This has happened several times in the last few months and so I'm wondering if it's a bug?

I'm using the latest version of Illustrator as of 2/26/2020: Illustrator 24.02 Using Windows 10.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

! For some reason after I closed out of Photoshop, I could move objects again. Not sure what the issue was since there were no dialouge's open in Photoshop. but all is well. Thank you for your assitance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Found the answer on Youtube ... you have to click on the path of the object ... not the bounding box ... then you can move the object with the mouse ... was driving me crazy just using arrow keys! (I am using a mac btw..)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Hi @M__Smith,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. This is not an ideal workaround you are using. I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• The exact version of OS, Ai & PS
  • Does it happen while working on some files or all?
  • Is this happening intermittently/ randomly or consistently?
  • Please share a small screen recording of the issue. It would be really helpful for us.
  • Which mouse are you using, or are you using a trackpad?

We are here to help. We just need mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to inform you all that a similar issue has been addressed for Mac in Illustrator update along with the latest macOS update, v12.4. I would request you all the update Windows 10 to the latest build and Illustrator to v26.3.1 and share your observation with us. If you are still facing the issue, please share the information asked above. This information will help us investigate the issue further.

Please feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread.

And describe your problem exactly.

There's only a very slight chance that someone might read all the 40 posts in this thread in order to figure out what might be your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika-

No need for people to post a new thread. I have read all of the posts including your multiple requests to start a new thread. Every person who has posted has the same basic problem. They want to move something on their screen with their mouse like they are used to doing, yet the program does not respond. We ALL can only move an oject with the arrow keys. Im going to assume the majority of us are not novices and have tried multiple ways to fix the issue before coming on to the forum.

Some of us have Macs, some have PCs. Workarounds so far include: rebooting the computer, restarting the program, and making sure other Adobe programs are not running in the background. None of these are acceptable solutions to the issue at hand.

If we all posted new threads about a common problem without adding to old ones, nobody would find a solution to a problem multiple people are having. If the company is not able to fix the problem, we all have to help each other by continuing the conversation. Also, how else would Adobe know that a problem affects multiple people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Also, how else would Adobe know that a problem affects multiple people?"

The engineers don't read this forum at all.

If you want to make them aware of an issue, don't post it here. Post it on http://illustrator.uservoice.com This forum is for self help. And if you want help with your individual problem on your individual system, then please post info about the sytem in a new thread.

If on the other hand you want your problem completely buried in messages, then just leave it here. I promise you that not a lot of people will find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm really getting crazy... i want to broke pc.... i have a job and i cant fnish it because of this suprised problem... i try many things for fixing this problem... i dont have a time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I am plugging in vector smart objects I made in Illustrator into Photoshop ... so it's super annoying I can't have both up at once. It started happening out of the blue. If I close photoshop, it works again. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I can't move the oject without getting the error. Howerver, I can move it by directly entering X & Y points in the properties box. It seems to be object specific. The object I am tring to move is complex. If I created a simple square I can move it around without an issue. No instance of PS is running and I have tried changing my CPU - GPU settings.  

SYSTEM
Win 10

32 GB RAM

GPU Nivida GTX 1650 Super

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this even an issue, I work with both daily and I don't even know how it glitched in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely enough, it happens with more than just photoshop. I've been locked up with the same problem for hours before I found this. but I had to close premiere to get back moving with mouse functionality. why tho?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to oakh, I suddenly had this issue as well (suddenly couldn't move any objects). I closed photoshop and like magic it started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had the same issue.  Was is it a photo or a vector image (shape, line etc.)?  On my computer, it would allow me to move shapes etc. with the Selection Tool but not images.  I found that if I imported an image into Illustrator, it would let me move it but not once I resized the shape to smaller dimensions.  What I found that works was selecting the photo/s and rasterising them.  You can do this by selecting the image, on menu bar: Object > Raterize.  Choose whatever settings you like (I just stick to High 300ppi. but if that doesn't work, try a lower resolution like Medium or Screen).  I think this issue only happens to large .ai files to stop a system overload.

Thanks!

Thomas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be able to move object by holding any part of it, go to Preferences > Selection and Anchor Display > then DESELECT Object selection by path only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is already deselected. I think it was a glitch. Been having so many photoshop glitches and bugs lately as well when having more than one adobe program open at a time. Annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Closed photoshop and it all worked. Thanks..:0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I had this same problem and reading through the thread it sounds like other application dialogue boxes are the issue. For me closing zoom solved it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Is it only happening with Illustrator?  its happened when you use photoshop or illustrator are both same time.

Solution:

01) Please  save your design and close illustrator and photoshop.Go to run type (%temp%) click ok and delete all temp files.

02) Please press window key on keyboard and type disk cleanup Go to (C. DRIVE)  And clean your C drive and .

So your problem isd solved

Remember

incase your issue is same so please restart your machine .Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I've had this issue off and on throughout the years, but now I can't seem to fix it. It's always something lately it seems. I spend more time doing updates and fixes than I do working some days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's many months later and I'm still getting the same issue. Closeing Photoshop seems to fix it...but I often need both applications open. Seriously frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @M__Smith,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. This is not an ideal workaround you are using. I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• The exact version of OS, Ai & PS
  • Does it happen while working on some files or all?
  • Is this happening intermittently/ randomly or consistently?
  • Please share a small screen recording of the issue. It would be really helpful for us.
  • Which mouse are you using, or are you using a trackpad?

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

#Marking it correct to highlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to inform you all that a similar issue has been addressed for Mac in Illustrator update along with the latest macOS update, v12.4. I would request you all the update Windows 10 to the latest build and Illustrator to v26.3.1 and share your observation with us. If you are still facing the issue, please share the information asked above. This information will help us investigate the issue further.

Please feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

#Marking it correct to highlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has resurfaced in the latet Illustrator update 26.4.1. Try to drag an object with Magic Mouse and it beeps and springs back into place. Move with a trackpad and all goes well. If I nudge and object with an arrow key and drag it works, but that is a hassle when you're trying to option drag and duplicate an object with affecting the initial object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stonepier,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue and the delayed response. I am glad to inform you that this issue has been addressed in the latest update, v26.5.

Please update and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens while Adobe Ps is open! i closed that and its ok. im having same problem with Ai 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @David341535220l4h,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), whether Illustrator behaves this way with all files, and a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines