• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move objects in Illustrator any more!

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suddenly, I can't move objects with the selection tool. I can use arrow keys. I can move only if I drag from the center point. very annoying!

• I've tried restarting, rebooting, turning various view settings on and off (outline, edges, corner widget), pasted and drawn elements, a wireless and a wired mouse.
  • currently i'm testing by opening a new 500 x 500px document, drawing a red rectangle, selecting the Selection tool, and trying to drag the rectangle. it's the only Illustrator file open, so there's it's about as simple as it gets.
  • i'm using Windows 10, Illustrator 23.0.1 64bit with massive 256GB RAM (so it's probably not memory related).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

thanks!

I dutifully followed these as best I could.

btw, Cleaner had me specify an application, but Illustrator wasn't listed because it was already uninstalled.

I was somewhat grateful to learn it probably wasn't Illustrator prefs related, since no variant of removing them helped.

I ended up updating or reinstalling most of my Adobe applications, doing a minor update to Windows, cleaning, closing Adobe applications in other Windows workspaces, and basically going as nuclear as I could. After restar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue as of 10/20/2020... and this solve from below worked for me as well (found no reason to re-install)!
"Really, I've been trying to fix this for over an hour.  but turning off my photoshop solved the problem.  So much for work flow. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in 2021 and this weird Photoshop/Illustrator glitch still exists. Had both programs open and after about 2 hours of work, I was no longer able to move objects in Illustrator. It would give me the error sound that you get when you try to do something but have to close a dialog/option box first. Only, there are no dialog boxes open. Literally opened a fresh doc, drew a square, filled it with red, swtiched to selection tool, and tried to click-drag it across the page. Error sound. 

I stumbled across this post and tried closing Photoshop. Illustrator started working again... Both versions were recently updated to the latest of the 2021 versions, so maybe that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear this helps!

But yes, sadly the bug still exists. It is strange, and I also noticed that the Wacom tablet can throw in some problems. Adobe and Wacom software sometimes don't play nice together.

But realising two Adobe applications sometimes sabotage one another hurts my brain (and workflow). I even had the Dreaded Stalling again today, while trying to move a layer up in Photoshop while holding 'Alt' to copy it (Photoshop freaks and zooms way up instead of simply copying the layer, and freeze issues galore 😞 A simple 'Alt-Tab'-ing will unblock it so it can breathe again, but really, come on... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add: if you're stuck in Photoshop (cursor no longer working, things freeze), try the good old 'Alt-Tab' to switch applications and then 'Alt-Tab' back to Photoshop to see how you can suddenly paint, erase, select et cetera again. This is usually a quick fix, but if this fails, well, sigh... you know what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue and so I stopped adobe update services from task manager and it unlocked my objects. Hopefully this helps anyone else with the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know about Windows, but I just got help for the same issue on Mac, and the tech went into my settings and got rid of all the app's files, the preferences, etc., for Illustrator. These will regenerate when you reopen the app (or should). Make sure it's ok to get rid of them before doing it, but, if you can, it should solve the problem. (On Mac, they were under ~Library/Application Support/Adobe Illustrator 26/; ~Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings; ~Library/Preferences/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator. There may be more so do a system search to find the files.)

Or, just hop onto the help.adobe.com page and click the chat icon in the lower right and allow a tech to go into your computer to get rid of all the files. Took just a few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines