Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Illustrator File, Can't Open PDF in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two Problems --

Illustrator file won't open -- I get an error message that the file name is too long. But even when I change the file name to something shorter, it won't open.

I have the same file saved as a PDF -- it opens in Acrobat, no problem. If I could open it in Illustrator, my problem would be solved. But when I try to open it in Illustrator, I get an error message "File not found." Well, the file is clearly there!

I'm toast with this client if I can't open this file. Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Dang... Putting them simply in your drive's main location (where the folders like Program Files are lying) also doesn't work, I suppose? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the "file name too long" error: Where do you store that file?

If the path to it is too long as well (e.g. due to long folder names), you will also get that error.

Not sure about macOS, but Windows has a character limitation of 260 characters for paths by default. That can be changed, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It's Windows. The folder names were kind of long -- so I changed all of them in the path. Still the same results. just seems so wierd -- I can open the PDF in Acrobat -- but when I try to open the PDF in Illustrator, it says "File not found..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang... Putting them simply in your drive's main location (where the folders like Program Files are lying) also doesn't work, I suppose? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did work! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohh, these are great news 🙂 Happy to hear that it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines