• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save illustration

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to save a file as an EPS, I get the error message saying "Can't save illustration the requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area" I can save the file as an Ai, or JPG but I have to have it in an EPS format to print from. I can't rasterize the file because it is at quarter scale and I need it to still print with good resolution. I have checked and I don't have any guides or random points hanging out anywhere. Any other ideas on what I can do to get it to save?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as a PDF instead would be my suggestion - as it's just as loseless as EPS, allows just as high-resolution printing (in my mind anyway) and provides virtually the same benefits.

Is your artboard bigger or smaller than your illustration by the way? This may be causing your error.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php

Worth a read when you get a moment

Best wishes,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save it as a PDF for print. EPS is an ancient file format and shouldn't be used anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am worried about the resolution because my file is being saved at Quarter Scale, will it still print okay if I save it as a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. PDF is [EDIT] an established product (typically viewed in adobe acrobat/DC) and can remember and keep items as vector points if saved from Illustrator.

As Theresa and I pointed out... EPS is essentially an obsolete format that provides no real benefit over PDF.

Quoting from http://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php:

EPS is a dying format. There is virtually no reason for you to ever save anything yourself as EPS. Here are good reasons to use an EPS file:

• if you already have an old vector graphic (from Illustrator or Freehand or something);
  • if some software is making it for you (such as this Barcode plug-in); in this case, the software is likely doing special stuff that can only be done in PostScript, then encapsulated in the eps.

PDF is the current and future of publishing. If you have a vector Illustrator document, save it in PDF or AI (see below). The only reason to save a Photoshop document as a PDF is if you have vector type or “shape” layers. (No other format, besides eps, can save vector info from PS.)

All the best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork is not vector, it is basically a big collage of pictures. Will it still be okay? Sorry! Thanks for the info, that is an interesting read on the different file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a collage of raster images then why do you use Illustrator for that?

And also: for pure raster images there might be better file formats. Why EPS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing this... I am confused given that it's a raster based collage why you are using illustrator to make it in the first place?

I don't mean to sound rude but I would have thought Photoshop or Indesign would have been better for this?

Apologies,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is just what I am comfortable in, I don't really know Photoshop that well. I typically work with vector images this is just kind of a different project from what I normally do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would still be fine.

Obviously, raster images/pictures can only ever be scaled so much without losing too much quality but a PDF should preserve this a heck of a lot better than a JPEG etc...

PDF should be the default format for anything professionally printed in my opinion.

Certainly, if you send something to a professional printer (regardless of raster of vector) they will normally ask for a PDF copy with appropriate print marks and bleed etc.

PDF also has various formatting options (as well as some inherently built in) that make it print more accurately from printer to printer with regards to colour reproduction etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would create a Photoshop document at the same size as your Illustrator document, plus the bleed. Set the resolution of the PS document to 400% of the print required resolution because you are building it at 25% scale. Place and arrange all of your images in the PS document. You can then place the PS composite in Illustrator and save the PDF from Illustrator with bleed and crop marks. Most likely your PDF will be much smaller with this workflow because it won't contain image content that falls way off the artboard. I'm guessing that your current layout has large images that fall way outside of the trim area. With the PS to AI workflow you essentially get rid of all that extra data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a thread with a similar error message Can't paste an object - will fall off the drawing area?

Maybe see if it's a similar problem with your guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines