Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2006 Jun 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And soon Steve will have time to go nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2006 Jun 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant USING. but i think you got that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2006 Jun 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,<br /><br />here's the deal.... I got 2 machines... one of which i was running cs2 fine and dandy... somone sent me a .ai file that I believe was created in a previous version... it gives me this prompt<br /><br />"This file contains text that was created in a previous version of illustrator. This legacy text must be updated before you can edit it <ok> <update> <cancel>"<br /><br />i clicked update, and i can see the image fine.... but when i try to save it as an .eps file to send to the printers... i get the error<br /><br />"cannot save illustration cannot print illustration"<br /><br />and now with any file i create or open... i can't save it as a .eps file... i can save .pdf and .ai but no longer save in the .eps file type... is anyone else having this problem?<br /><br />and just for the record... i installed cs 12 on my laptop freshly and i can save to .eps no problem... <br /><br />on the desktop however... no matter what i do... i've cleaned out all registry entries and uninstalled illustrator completly... with having no other adobe products on the system... and when i reinstall illustrator again... there is the same problem... so it looks like i gotta format my computer...<br /><br />any ideas ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2006 Jun 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the solution . . . for me anyway! I've fixed the problem of not being able to save pdf compatible .ai files, .ai files and .pdf files!

I used to have adobe CS but then I upgraded to CS2. For a while I had both installed on my computer (XP SP2) but recently uninstalled version 11 (CS). That's when I started to have the problems described in this thread with CS2, only I've just made the link that perhaps it was something to do with uninstalling CS that caused the problem in the first place.

I found this thread http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9630 where illustrator cs2 users were having similar problems. I discovered that instead of having over 160 something fonts in my adobe required fonts folder, I just had 1!

So, here's what I did. I uninstalled CS2. Reinstalled CS (Version 11), found the required fonts folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps and copied it to my desktop. Installed CS2 (remember CS is still installed at this point). Checked to see if I could now save .pdf files, .ai files, and .ai pdf compatible files and I could!!

So, uninstalled CS (version 11) leaving my machine with just CS2. I checked the required fonts folder, and again, It just had one file in there after uninstalling CS so copied the fonts from the required fonts folder from my desktop to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps fired up CS2 and it works perfectly now!

It WAS a fonts issue . . . guys, check to see if this folder exists and that you have around 160 files in it. If not, I'm convinced this is what the problem is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2006 Jun 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, Gavin.

Shane, are you reading this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes...

When I got the email for Gavin's post yesterday and we could reproduce the issue, I about peed myself. Pardon my languange...

Thank you Gavin! ...wanna work in QE? :)

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice.

But i dont have CS to move that folder.
What can i do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriel,

We are looking for a workaround to fix the issue. Stay tuned.

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2006 Jun 30, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Thank you Gavin! ...wanna work in QE?

LOL. Well, I can't take all the credit . . . the solution was kinda pointed out to me in the thread I mentioned. I'm just glad it's sorted!

Has anyone else applied this fix successfully?

Gavin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2006 Jul 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, installing Photoshop CS2 resolves the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2006 Jul 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've got the same problem as Kelstr (posted jun 21).

I'm using the tryout version of CS2 to open eps files created using Illustrator 10, on the same XP m/c. The files open fine and can be edited, but some won't save (as eps) or print, with the message "cant save, cant print". However this doesn't seem to put my m/c off opening and saving others. So far 2 files out of 15 are affected - I did play with one of them removing one layer (of 5) and it then saved ok. Then removed only part (either of two town plans) from the same layer, and again it saved. Curiously all the text in this layer had been converted to paths before saving in Ill 10, so I wouldn't think that it's a font issue. The two files that fail are not the largest in the set, nor are the contents of the layer I removed as big as the same layer in files that work.

Is anyone at Adobe interested in looking at these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2006 Jul 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 3 design workstations (Windows XP) with Illustrator CS one user could not save as .ai on his system but was able to save successfully on another system. So we copied the Adobe Illustrator CS Settings folder (C/Documents & Settings/User/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings) from the machine that worked onto his machine and all is right in his world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2006 Jul 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, it seems the cmap files in adobe reader works too

To fix Adobe Illustrator CS 2 Missing PDF Problem:

1. Install Asian Font Pack for Adobe
2. Find Location of CMAP folder with files (Adobe Reader)
3. Copy those files into C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Font\Reqrd\
4. rename CMAP into CMAPS

of course transparency problem and settings problem were checked before this action was performed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2006 Jul 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys

i am having the same problem. I am using xp cs2, never installed a illustrator other version on my computer, I was editing a illustrator cs file today. every thing was fine, and i can even save in pdf and ai fomular for the first 3 hours. and then i did some change on picture size and other effect, i cannt save anymore! not pdf, not ai!
can anyone help me? this is very urgent. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2006 Aug 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed illustrator CS2. I am trying to open an Illustrator 10 file and cannot see some of the images. The images are not linked to a file they are copied and pasted. Has anyone else had this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 04, 2006 Aug 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anita,

You should really start a new topic as your question has nothing to do with the subject of this discussion.

Copying and pasting is not the recommended method for getting images into an AI document. You should always use Place, which will give you the option to link or embed.

Do you still have AI 10 installed on your machine? Are you saying the images are visible when the document is opened in AI 10?

=-= Harron =-=

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2006 Aug 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. It's a 300dpi business card template with multiple layers, text and a placed PSD file. I can save when I uncheck the PDF option. I bought Illustrator CS2 as a part of the Creative Suite and it was not cheap as you all know. It seems many people have this issue and it should be resolved. I will be happy to provide any files or additional information to help solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rickey:

Have you tried the various suggested fixes in this long thread. If not, follow ShaneAdobeTS (Tech Support) posts as some people were able to solve their problem. steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have, including here: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332690.html

What works is not saving with PDF compatibility. Unfortunatly I use the PDF compatibility feature whenever possible and I very much prefer it.

I did a search for ShaneAdobeTS and I am happy to know the issue is known. If ShaneAdobeTS is reading this, is there anything you would like me to do to help? I did try all the steps on tech doc 332690.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2006 Aug 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have found that this usually happens if you have Illustrator CS installed, then install CS2, then remove CS. That uninstaller removes a large number of the CMAP files that are required. Usually, running a repair on the CS2 installation puts the files back, but you might have to remove and reinstall CS2 to get it up and working.

Thanks

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2006 Aug 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in my case I did not have CS installed previously. Also, I tried to export a project to PDF and I received the same error, so I had to export to PSD, then use PhotoShop to save as a PDF.

So perhaps this is an issue with Acrobat and not Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2006 Aug 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky... are you using Windows XP Professional? Try logging in as a new user and see if the issue persists. In our case only one designer was having and issue so I had another designer log on to his system and they had no trouble...hmmm since it was a user issue we needed to replace the CS settings folder for the unsuccessful user...that did the trick.

1. Select Show hidden files and folders (My Computer/Tools/Folder Option View )
2. Move the Adobe folder from C/Documents & Settings/User/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings to desktop or other location (we never delete until test is sucessful)
3. Replace the folder with a folder from a successful user profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2006 Aug 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I am running Windows XP and I tried what you suggested and that did not work. I tried twice: a profile with user access and a profile with admin access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2006 Sep 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, guys, I think this is going to be very helpful for some people. I've been struggling for days and nights trying to solve the problem of not being able to save my AIs as PDFs.

At the beginning, when I had just bought and installed the Adobe Creative Suite 2, everything was running smoothly. I was able to convert any type of files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint...) to PDF. But suddenly, the Adobe automatic updater advised me of some new Acrobat Professional changes. I accepted them and something I haven't heard about before, appeared on my applications software tool bars: FLASH PAPER2. From then on, I wasn't able to convert my documents using just one button. Every time I tried it my application program hanged up. Now I had to work around by printing it to the PDF Adobe Printer. Well, that at least solved that problem.

Later, working with AI (CS2) I noticed that I couldn't save some AI documents as PDF any more. Then I started looking and looking for a solution, until I finally found this thread. The answer wasn't here at all. I tried several suggestions, but none worked for me. So I decided to re install Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat and the problem disappeared.

I'm almost sure that one of the automatic updates that I allowed to be applied to my CS2 suite caused the error.

Sorry for such a long story.

Virgilio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2006 Oct 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same problem also.... It started last week and now when I work on an old AI file, I am unable to save it as an Illustrator file, only as a PDF file. This is very frustrating! Will Adobe fix this BUG?

Thanks,

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines