Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text is not a part of the work I'm doing and I am unable to send Shane a file because I CAN'T save it one way or another.

It's a bit irritating to see the number of posts on this and still, in CS3 the issue persists.

Come on, Adobe! I've been using your products since 1986. Let's fix this - isn't this an important piece of software? I want to use the products I purchase!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me,

I am using CS3.  I was working with a template.  When opening I would get the "font problem" alert.  "The missing font was substitued with another when opening."

If I tried to save the document as an AI it would save.  But, If I tried to save as an EPS I would get the following response,

"Can't save the illustration Cant print the illustration"  Then I also got....

"Can't save the illustration. Not enough memory was available or object was too complex. reducing the size of this document window may help."

If I create outlines to the text of the template, before saving as an EPS, this fixes the problem.

Is there a setting to choose the defaut font to be used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of these fixes...listed in this thread.  I've read about Zune and Microsoft Media entertainment players being the problem.  I've disabled everything.  I'm not using text in my file.  My file is not large.  Nothing has worked.  Unchecking the .pdf compatibility... trying to print to the PDF printer... none of it has worked. I'm using CS3 with more than enough RAM... it's all bogus... nobody has found the real issue.  I've been in tech support for years... none of these fixes are fixes... by some unknown reason... they've stumbled upon an anomaly that appears to fix their save issue.  The save issue is alive and well.  I can't fix my issue because I don't have the same anomaly.  I've had it for months.  Where's the real fix?  p.s.  I can't send you the file... because it won't save!  I can send you an .eps version of it but I don't think it's the graphic that's the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Illustrator CS4 running on brand new Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit.

1. I create a new file. Draw a square and write some text.

It does NOT save AI but it saves EPS

2. I remove the text from the file.

It saves AI and EPS.

Why does Adobe has a bug since CS2, as I see in this forums, and does not solve it?

Worse than that, how can they release a CS4 version still with this bug?

And this bug has been reported ... at least since 2005!

I am really not able to understand this ... really ...

Cheers,

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read every post on this thread and have tried every "fix" - without success.

I am running Windows XP Pro and AI CS2 (12.0.1). I have plenty of memory and plenty of disk space. My IT departrment installed AI CS2 about 6 months and it has worked fine. It was the first time illustrator had been installed on my computer.

A few days ago I opened an .ai file and made some changes to it and tried to save it under a different name. I did a "save as" from the file menu and the title bar went from blue to gray and the program stopped - no error message. Nothing worked. I pressed the ESC key and it returned to normal.

I can use all of the functions of the program to change my illustration and then simply save it under the same name, but I could not do a "save as." I also can not open an .ai file from within the program (although I can double-click the file icon and it will open). I cannot "place" a file in illustrator, but I can copy and paste from photshop to illustrator with no problem. I can even open a file if I do it through the "open recent" and "new from template" menu list.

Also, the only way I can convert the file to .png (for insertion into Word) is to print to PDF and then open the PDF in photoshop and save as .png. This is driving me crazy. I deleted the settings files and re-launched AI. I tried uncecking the "use PDF" when using the clipboard. I even changed the scratch disk from "Startup" to my local D: drive. I tried everything - almost.

The only thing I haven't tried is to remove and reinstall the program (BTW it is not part of a suite). My IT department is VERY reluctant to do this because they, too, read these forums and have seen posts where the person stated that re-installation wasn't successful.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Robert Horton

robert.horton@cae.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

Sometimes, it is better to Move the folder than to just delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter swears this only happens when she uses her Zune player.  She says she has to exit out of the Zune software and restart the computer, then it works.  I've yet to see it resolve my problems being that I don't have a Zune or use the software for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines