Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2006 Oct 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious problem.
- just create new file in Illustrator CS2
- put only one text in with Type tool ( Myriad font )
- "Save as" in AI or PDF file --> ERROR UNKNOW
- reload Illustrator
- create new file, put text in with Times New Roman font
- "Save as" --> file is saved but the error come later when i go to close Illustrator.

I make all test that I read in this post.
I have a creative suite cs2 that i bouhgt last week. What i can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2006 Oct 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting your aiprefs file as per the forum FAQs FAQ#2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2006 Oct 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or read either of posts #7, #16, #20, or #71, or post #53 or post #69?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2006 Nov 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, this worked for me.

Try moving the entire Illustrator CS2 settings folder to the desktop and then launch Illustrator again and see if you still get the error.

In the c:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe folder move the Illustrator CS2 Settings folder to the desktop.

Thanks Shane, and everyone else involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2006 Nov 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there a fix for this issue? I have tried all the things listed in the postings and still no solution. Tried the renaming the Trans file, tried moving the Pref. folder to the desktop. Everything works ok when saving as an EPS, but the file sized going from a .95 MB AI file to a 6.90 MB in EPS isn't worth it. There really hasn't been a patch to fix it since the topic was started a year ago?

I am running CS2, on Windows XP, all is fully up to date. How can I save files with text inside? What else can be done to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2006 Nov 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved my Illustrator preferences folder to the desktop as suggested and this did work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shadrach,

You did try reinstalling CS as mentioned in post #53, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing CS is the one I did not try, since I do not have CS. Think there'd be a patch to do whatever it is that installing CS does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shadrach,

The CS issue is caused by vital files being deleted when uninstalling CS after having installed CS2 on top of it, so it does not apply to your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2007 Jan 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has just appeared on my system as well. And I am several thousand kilometres away from my install discs...

I am running CS2 on a new XP Pro laptop. Everything was fine prior to xmas.

Now Illustrator CS2 wont save any AI files containing text (even with just the default Myriad font) with "Create PDF Compatible File" checked, or any PDF files.

Note these are newly created files without any placed images. Just some lines (which saves OK), and text. As soon as I add the text, the save fails.

Various error messages - 108, PDF file having difficulties, unknown error. Sometimes followed by Not enough memory to preview, or missing palette/toolbar icons. I have to then use task manager to kill the process and restart Illustrator.

This is an utterly unacceptable bug. Sure I can work around it by turning off "Create PDF Compatible File". Just like I used to use Save As to get around Illustrator 9's "Trouble saving PDF file" bug. The inability to save out press-ready hires PDFs is a show stopper.

I have tried deleting the pref folder, creating a new Windows profile, running scan disk all to no avail. All the CS2 apps are up to date, as is Windows. The laptop has only Adobe and MS Office apps on it. No weird shareware or other apps.

This is a new install done in one go. Updates are then run. All standard install settings, nothing has been deleted or changed with the installation.

Given my experience with AI9, I can believe that Adobe has known about this bug and is for some reason ignoring it or unable to resolve it. Hey, at least my Adobe help system is working unlike some people I know.

Help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed adobe illustrator CS2 and it worked properly for few
months. But now there is a problem; I can not create a new template. It
always comes with an error message:
"Adobe PDF file format i s having difficulties. Could not create internal
representation of XMP metadata."

I have tried to remove all adobe programs and reinstalled CS2 for several times but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the "fixes" listed in the topic and they did not work for me. The only way I got it to work was to make the text into outlines before I save the file, which mean no editing later. This is a bug that Adobe should have fixed long ago. They going to be this lazy on the next version of Illustrator too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2007 Jan 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being able to save and AI file with PDF compatibility also means I can no longer use the Edit Vector Smart Objects function in Photoshop CS2 (where a smart object contains text).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2007 Jan 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my problem with Illustrator CS2:

When opening files created in Illustrator 10 I am given options: a/ Choose Update to update all of the text legacy now. b/ Choose OK to update the text later. c/ Choose Cancel to cancel opening the file. Tried option a/ & b/ several times, the file opened as "xyz [Converted].ai". I was able to make changes as needed and I was able to save the document as either ai or pdf.

The problem is when I wish to open the document again. I get this error: "The file xyz [Converted].ai is of an unknown format and cannot be opened". BTW it shows the file size is 0 KB.

Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2007 Jan 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seem to have gone away!

Here's what I did:

1. installed the CS2.3 upgrade (which I gather is essentially an upgrade to Acrobat 8 plus shared files). Illustrator still won't save at this point.

2. I then used the Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs" function to trigger the Adobe CS2 Intall/Reinstall/Remove tool. Marked Illustrator for reinstallation, and it all worked.

I did not restart the machine at all throughout this, and the reinstall process did not overwrite my settings, or the updater patch.

I hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2007 Feb 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe give our money back... :/
If you can fix this bug, we don´t have why use your program.
I lost much money with this bug... And now? :/

Sorry by my english.
And I wait a response.

Att.: Marcelo Vinecci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2007 Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, may be late but still solution.
In fact illustrator CS2 PDF save problem (compatibility or as PDF) solution is related to fonts (when not related to transparency problem described on this thread), and here is a workarround:
1.-Downolad and install Acrobat reader 8.0.
2.-Found Acroread CMaps folder,usual location:
->C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Designer 8.0\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps
3.-Copy that folder (CMaps) to Adobe\Font\Reqrd, usual location:
->C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Font\Reqrd\
***Overwrite if required
so you get:
C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Font\Reqrd\CMaps

Thats all, open or reopen your illustrator and then you can save on PDF

Thanks Kingsley Szeto this is your solution.
A10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2007 Feb 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,
much thanks to Polipo and others as it eventually led to me figuring out a solution.

I installed Reader 8 as suggested (after fixing the registry keys problems that some have during install) and looked at the fonts there. Unfortunately there was only about 15 of them. However I found the Illustrator fonts in \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts. Others indicated this should be in \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Font\Reqrd\CMaps but there was no CMaps folder there so I created one and copied the huge list of fonts there.

Still no go, so I went to the CMap folder for Reader (\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Resource\CMap) and copied the 2 files (Identity-H and Identity-V) to the earlier created CMaps folder and it worked.

I hope this helps someone else.

Basically, it seems if your problem is font related (try saving without any text to see if it is) you'll need to do something crazy like this to give Illustrator access to those fonts.

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2007 Feb 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to follow up, same problem on a colleague's computer and the same steps as above worked. We used the Identity files from Reader 7.0 so skip installing 8.0, I say. The error that occured installing 8.0 was a major pain that required some registry editing to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2007 Feb 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CWM, just FYI we have the exact same problem pop up on one of our Macs just yesterday. It began after we tried activating some additional Helvetica fonts using Suitcase. We are using OS 10.3.9, so we can't install Acrobat 8 to try your fix, which requires 10.4. The computer currently has Acrobat Reader version 5 installed on it. We will try doing the fix with Reader 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Polipo,
I obtained \CMaps for Acrobat reader 8.0. Seems my directory structure in Illustrator is different that yours. See my directory structure below (BMP). Would appreciate it if you could tell me where I should install (place) the CMaps files (or folder) to fix the "Can't save as PDF" problem.
Thank you,
Lloyd Adams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me, I forgot to attach the list of my directories.
Lloyd Adams

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Plug-ins\Text Filters
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2\Support\Required

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2007 Feb 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CWM's fix is the ONLY one that worked for me!

I had the same saving PDF's in Adobe Illustrator CS2 problem; meaning, I was getting either "An unknown error has occurred" at some point in the saving process, freezing of AI at some point (usually near end) of saving process, or the program would barf (shut down, sometimes with an error) while in saving process.

When I started I only had Adobe Illustrator CS2 installed on a fresh installation of Windows XP (SP2) with NO OTHER Adobe applications installed (meaning "CS2" was not installed). From the first file I tried to save as a PDF in Illustrator, I was getting the error.

I tried installing Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional - STILL BROKEN
I tried removing the transparency flatener file - STILL BROKEN
I tried removing the preferences folder - STILL BROKEN
I tried "repairing" illustrator through the Add/Remove programs - STILL BROKEN
I uninstalled Acrobat Professional 7 - STILL BROKEN
I installed Acrobat Reader 8 - STILL BROKEN
I copied the two files (only) from "CMap" to a directory I created "CMaps" (CWM's fix) - FINALLY FIXED!!!

Basically, I think if you have Acrobat Reader installed (perhaps any version, though I had 8), you just copy the contents of the folder "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Resource\CMap" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps" (You will likely need to create the CMaps folder) and wahlah (voila) you can save in PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that whenever I try to save an ai file in CS2 it says "An unknown error has occurred" I discovered it is due to using any kind of fonts/characters in the document. Even if I open an new document, type one to two characters (doesn't matter which font) I cannot save the file.

If when I save, I choose to subset fonts when under 0% or uncheck PDF Compatible, I get a new error "Acrobat PDF File format is having difficulties. An internal error occurred while processing XMP metadata."

If I try to save once more I no longer go to the save panel, but get a different message "can't save illustration. An IO error occurred. ID = -36" After that it just says "can't save illustration." If I try to close and open a new one to try again it tells me I can't because I'm out of memory (which I am not of course).

I tried many other ideas, reinstalling, etc. but also doing the following is the only thing that seems to work for me too -- yippie!! I can stop pulling my hair out!!

I followed the above instructions -- updated to AdobeReader8 then,
Copied 2 files from
Reader 8.0\Resource\CMap
and pasted into
Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps
I no longer seem to have any problems -- but we'll see what happens next...

Thanks Everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spent considerable time creating a trifold brochure in Illustrator CS2. The file will save, but it will not print, saying all the pages are blank. It won't print as Illustrator file, an .EPS or .pdf - am I going nuts or is there something chronically wrong.. I am using Windows XP Pro Edition. Please Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines