Can you assign alt text or metadata to specific artboards?

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to prepopulate graphics I create in Illustrator with alt text so if there are changes to the graphic i wont have to keep redoing the alt text. Is there a way to add artboard specific metadata?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that this is possible, but frankly speaking I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean by "Alt text" in this context and where you are going to assign it.

Can you clarify a bit?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create the graphic in Illustrator, then place the image in my InDesign Report ... the alt text assigned to the image is what a screenreader would say if someone vision-impaired were accessing the exported PDF document. It is also what the written prompt thats pop up if someone were to hover over the image. This is needed in order to make a document ADA compliant.

Im able to add an alt text in the file info tab but if my file has multiple artboards and I need different descriptions, it doesnt do me any good. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be possible by running a script on your "master" document that sets the alt text (I assume it's XMP data?) and then exports each artboard as a separate file, which would then be placed in Indesign. Would be a bit of work I'd think.

- Mark

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export artboards as PDF or save as separate Illustrator files and add the metadata later (Bridge, Acrobat, Ilustrator).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats what I'm trying to avoid, if I have an illustrator file with 50 graphs in it and I export them, add alt text in bridge, place in my report ... then edits come back and data changes for half the graphs, I have to repeat the process. Would be great if Adobe could add this feature in the future, much like InDesign already has with their 'Object Export Options'.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am afraid that a feature request or adding a vote to an existing one is currently the only option.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/357...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

I think I'm familiar with the Alt text concept in general, but I'm still afraid that there is no straightforward way to do it in Illustrator on a per-artboard basis.

Ton's suggestion may be one possible way, though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines