• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you do simple animations in Illustrator?

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm learning Illustrator and can use the basics. Is there a way to do really simple animations on there? Like changing the background colour to flash between two different colours etc?

Basically trying to figure out how to do very simple animations myself for my instagram feed. Researched but the way I thought doesnt seem to be possible anymore.

Thansk so much for your wisdom :o) x

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hello @Nicola5E69,

Thanks for reaching out. You can make simple animations using Illustrator and Photoshop together. Kindly have a look at this tutorial for getting started (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZSTnF6tJ0).

Please update this thread if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Nicola5E69,

Thanks for reaching out. You can make simple animations using Illustrator and Photoshop together. Kindly have a look at this tutorial for getting started (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZSTnF6tJ0).

Please update this thread if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use photoshop for simple gif animations. Use the window >> timeline > Create Frame Animation, then file >> save for web legacy check animation

Illustrator can not export to an animated format, and also does not have a timeline. Feel free though to copy Ilustrator items as smart objects into photoshop, this way you can scale to infinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Illustrator doesn't have native tools or functions for animation. You can try Adobe Animate.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is no, there is no animation within Illustrator itself. You need to take the assets you have made into another program to animate and then the choice of program is up to you - Photoshop, Animate, Adobe Creative Cloud Express would be ideal for Instagram animations (similar to Canva).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is not so long ago when Illustrator still allowed you to export layers as .swf frames to create simple animations (I think it worked up to Illustrator 2020). Then all you need is a .swf to .gif converter, for example, or something else that may convert it to another file format that supports animations.

Of course, you may also dare to tackle the very famous SVG Interactivity palette in Illustrator and then do something else with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think this is directly pertinent to OP's needs, but I wanted to add an interesting contribution by J. Kriebeler (sorry I can't find his user tag for some reason). It's called Frame-by-frame SVG animation script and is pretty clever I think. Note that this script generates an animated svg (animated with internal css) so it will work when added to a html page, but almost certainly won't work as a managed asset on Instagram or the like.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines