• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you suspend history or capture undo in one function in illustrator?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there is an equivalent to Photoshop:

app.activeDocument.suspendHistory("Heres my undo state", 'main()')

or InDesign:

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Heres my Undo State");

While Illustrator does have doScript, it's only for Actions from what I gather. Any googling of suspend history brings up Photoshop implementations. Anything similar for Illustrator?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no suspendHistory or undoModes in Illustrator.

I tried changing the undoDepth since it seems the History steps are related to the number of undos. But it seems the minimum number of undos is 5. Are you trying to prevent a large number of undos in memory?

app.preferences.setIntegerPreference ("maximumUndoDepth", 5);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wckdtall, the situation with scripting and Undo/Redo in Illustrator is not as good. Here are my observations:

1. Most scripting operations will not add to the Undo stack, but some will. I don't know which will or won't but the majority wont in my experience. Therefore the whole script will usually be undo-able in one go. My guess is the less reliant on UI style calls, eg. executeMenuCommand, the more likely the whole script will add just one operation to the Undo stack.

2. If you want to have multiple operations added to the Undo stack, you can force it by calling app.redraw() in your script. If you are looping over an array, adding app.redraw() into the loop will give you one undo operation for each iteration.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks both! I'm actually wanting to wrap several actions into one history state. My script creates a layer, names it, makes a text disclaimer, outlines it, sets visibility. It consistently only records 2 undo states, but in PS and ID an entire loop with hundreds of changes can be contained within these so they don't record. I do use redraw quite a bit, but mostly because Illustrator needs it to update scripts that run too fast. On that note, it may be in part why such this functionality doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines