• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open EPS files in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running illustrator CS6 16.0.4 on an iMac (new). I get the following error when trying to open some EPS files "can't open this illustrator file. the file was generated with a newer version of illustrator and cannot be opened. Please resave in a format compatible with your version of illustrator". As far as I can see I am running the latest version of illustrator and have updated everything that is available. I am having to get the files resaved in older versions to open

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version is not AI CS6 v16, it is AI CC v17.

BTW you should not use EPS at all anymore with the Creative Suite or Cloud, use AI or PDF instead, because EPS does not support transparancy nor color management, both important factors in today's files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I update CS6 there are  no updates for illustrator beyond v16? Also we require EPS files for vector format in our industry for logo management. How do I get to download v 17 for illustrator?

I just checked the adobe site and 16.0.4 is the latest illustrator update for mac so not sure why EPS will not open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to buy it on the Creative Cloud. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

You should also consider to change your logo management, because EPS is outdated. PDF and AI are also vector formats, but in better conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willi

I am not using creative cloud but Design Standard desktop software which we purchased a year ago. Does this mean that Adobe are no longer providing updates for desktop software suites and that you have to basically abandon it and take out a cloud subscription? We work in an industry where our customers provide logos in EPS so we cannot really do anything about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 17 is only available in the Creative Cloud. If you have to use that version you will have to subscribe!

Your customers should also learn that EPS is not a modern file type which is causing a lot of problems in the further workflow. Even with simple files without transparency EPS can cause workflow problems with InDesign. (E.g. Ink manager)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

That is pretty poor of Adobe - it is really making second class citizens of those people who have purchased the desktop version of its products.

We have over 1000 customers using EPS so they are not likely to change and we do require this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not not a question if we like Adobe's marketing modell. But if you work professionally with a software you should be able to afford it. If some small company or single designer cannot upgrade to CC, I understand it, but a company? If you need only AI, then you can jumo in into the CC for Illustrator only. Amd of ypi make money with clients which are working with CC you will have to upgrade anyway.

And yes, it is a problem, that many designers stick with old formats, like EPS or PostScript. I cannot understand why? I don't see any advantage. Anyone who creates an AI file will have to keep this file anyway, why to create a copy in EPS? To waste disk space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Yes we have one designer so yes it does make it hard. Also Adobe tend to charge more in Australia for exactly the same subscription software for which they were taken to court recently.

It would be so good if Adobe were to get some competition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Germany is Adobe much more expensive than it Australia. And when you buy it in countries with higher taxes inside Europe, like Austria, you have to pay even more. Adobe tells us always it's the localization, but the price of the UK version is the same here and the German versions had always less functionality like the US or English versions, missing manual, no Kuler in several Illustrator versions, less online services. So be happy, you get in Australia more content for less price than in Europe.Yes, US have better prices anyway, it is a cheap country.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new file in your version of Illustrator and then place the EPS.

And read this:

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.de/2006/11/whats-in-file.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional in business. We bought cs 6 to solve eps importproblems last year. Illustator can not open eps files anymore now? (cant open newer versions). Wherefor did I payed € 2500, -? . Its very bad  to work with a professional package and no eps opens from other (uprofessional) customers! Thay cant make a pdf from a eps. We work with clients and inport for over more than 2000 .eps files a year. So we have to look aroud for other software, because there is no solution in illustrator?!!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am 26.11.2013 um 14:27 schrieb Dennis3000:

Its very bad to work with a professional package and no eps opens from other (uprofessional) customers! Thay cant make a pdf from a eps. We work with clients and inport for over more than 2000 .eps files a year.

exactly which software created these EPS?

exactly what happens instead of opening the files? any error message?

Normally it's not a problem to open an EPS. But EPS is a format that can be created by practically any software and it can contain practically anything (doesn't need to be vector paths).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, EPS can also be a pixel file or something. most of the eps files can be changed or opened in Illustrator. But sometimes... i dont know what happens.

In this case, the customer does not know by wich software it's made.

But it is possible to import in photoshop or indesign, so the information is in the file. Photoshap ask me the format in px. I can make it as big as i want. But, if my customers ask me to change the logo (in illustrator), or use a part of it for some things else(like a backgroud e.c.), then i have a problem. I have to make a copleet new logo! This customer does not have a pfd, ai, ps or else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you do with the file?

What exactly does Illustrator do instead of opening it?

Can you create a new file and place the other file into it? Embed it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are amazing! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you convert this file in Adobe Distiller to a PDF? If Yes, is it a vector or something else.

Does the PDF file info then give you some mor information.

If you open the EPS in a text editor (use a copy of the file), do you find any information of the creator programme of that file? Or any hint which might help you?

Or is this only a file with an .EPS extension but in reality it is omething else and only someone has exchanged the extension? (Sometimes people think that exchanging the extension converts a file. i know some who do so.)

If you open in Adobe Bridge the folder where this file is saved, does Bridge give you some helpful information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in notepad the header it looks normal:

%%LanguageLevel: 2

%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit

%ADOBeginClientInjection: DocumentHeader "AI11EPS"

%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 17.0.0

%AI9_PrintingDataBegin

%ADO_BuildNumber: Adobe Illustrator(R) 17.0.0 x256

In Bridge the thumnail is ok, iit information is EPSF  windows

I can open it in Photoshop

I can open it in Indesign

I can import it in illustrator

Changing the extention in ai, ps, pfd does not work.

But i can not open it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But!!!!!!

I forgot to try the Distiller option!

And it works! It becoms a .pdf, and i can also change the .pdf into a .eps. It opens in Illustrator!

Thank you very much Willi!  Good Job!

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis3000 wrote:

%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 17.0.0

Of course you can't open this in CS6, because it's a CC file. But why do you do all this distilling and converting?

If you just place and embed the file into a new file, you'll get the same (maybe even a little less flattening), but a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Monika!   You are right!

Even better. I didnt know the button Embed!

Excuse for not paying attention. It is mutch easier!!!

Thank you!

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause wrote:

Of course you can't open this in CS6, because it's a CC file. But why do you do all this distilling and converting?

If you just place and embed the file into a new file, you'll get the same (maybe even a little less flattening), but a lot easier.

I know this is an old thread, but this is one of the only answers that is actually helpful. Yelling about "don't use EPS" does not solve the issue posed here. You either have an EPS you need to deal with (like I just did today), or you don't. Tangental "advice" about telling other people to save their files differently is useless within a problem solving thread like this.

Placing and embedding the newer-versioned EPS file within CS6 did it for me. Thank you, Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more idea is to use an online service converting the vector eps to vector pdf. I did it a minute ago.

If you just place the file you won't be able to edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anomaldesign schrieb:

If you just place the file you won't be able to edit it.

You will need to embed it of course.

But please go ahead uploading your files to some "online service". You don't know what else they do with your files, you don't know how they convert your files (do the colors stay the same? Really?), and you don't know if you get the best conversion you possibly can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem but i cannot open the eps file with anything.

I get the same message everywhere:
"unknown file format and cannot be opened."
I tried: illustrator, photoshop, distiller, even tried to place it in indesign. same message everywhere.
Running CS6

Any help besides upgrading to CC is welcomed.

Thank you!
Tatomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines