Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open files when activated folder redirection policy over the domain

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All!

I have been using Illustrator peacefully until activating the folder redirection policy over my internal domain, basically, folder redirection saves the Desktop, Download, and Document files into the network instead of my local disk. When I open an AI file, a small error box shows up telling "file not found". It was fine when my files were on my local disk, but after my files are moved to the network drive, now I cannot open those anymore unless moving them to my local disk and open them. 

I went through every forum question about network drive and so... but none of them are solving my problem, I want to have folder redirection enabled, but at the same time be able to open my files from a network location. 

As a reference: 

My previous file location: C:\user\downloads\sample.ai

My current file location: \\sharedFolder\user\downloads\sample.ai

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Want to post the solution that I came up with, in case someone might have the same issue as me. 

Since I was able to open shared AI files over the network, and specifically not able to open files from the FDR folder, the problem was coming from file permissions. If you have ever set up FolderRedirection, you should've seen under the FDR folder every user has their own folders (where their files are saved over the network), so at the first point, I shared and set the security group (under security

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. In general, Adobe apps don't have great support for network volumes. Please, check this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Someone121212,

Sorry to hear about this experience. As suggested by Marliton, it is not advisable to use a network/external drive to store your work when working in Illustrator, as many variables affect application performance in such cases. Consequently, some problems occur more frequently when you work across a network or removable media than when you work from a local hard disk (for example, damaged files, denied access, or slow performance).

I would request you try saving your files to a folder on your computer's hard drive and then manually back them up to the network drive.

Kindly update this thread if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Want to post the solution that I came up with, in case someone might have the same issue as me. 

Since I was able to open shared AI files over the network, and specifically not able to open files from the FDR folder, the problem was coming from file permissions. If you have ever set up FolderRedirection, you should've seen under the FDR folder every user has their own folders (where their files are saved over the network), so at the first point, I shared and set the security group (under security tab) FDR with everyone with all the rights (Full control). It should fix your problem, but if not do one more step. Go into properties of each user's directory, and set permission to the folder owner with the exclusive right to the owner (be careful not to allow anyone else). These changes fixed the problem for all my clients. 
Summary: 
The link:
\\SharedFolder\FDR\UserFolder
Permissions for FDR: 
Share it with everyone. 

Permissions for UserFolder
set the security group to the specific user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines