• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot remove background

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm relatively new to Illustrator. I can't figure out how to remove a black checkerboard background from an image I got on Adobe Stock as an .ai file. Attached is a png version of the image.

I've removed other types of backgrounds by exporting as a png with a transparent background, but that doesn't work with images like the attached.

TOPICS
Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely these are squared shapes. You can find them in the layers panel.

There is a video about selection in my "Missing manual" tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVqhHu3CSohVhofyDlCIh3Z-Qk8qSmMqZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer is that the creator has added a layer of checkerboard pattern on a separate layer behing everything so that the objects and any effects applied to them will show up. This is confusing to people because tradiotionally, a checkerboard pattern (e.g, in Photoshop) is a method to show transparency. If you look at the Layers palette in your stock art, you will likely see this layer and can delete it (or turn it off).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you truly get vector art or is it a graphic image? If it is a vector, then you should be able to find the checkerboard somewhere in the layers panel or it might be that the transparency grid has been turned on (although that is not what it looks like), which can be changed under the View>Hide(Show) Transparency Grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines