Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Car Wrap Artboard Size?

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a designer that is making a car wrap for us.  I have just never done this but I do know the adobe suite, just illustrator the least.

My question..

He is sending over an 8.5 x 11 PDF which pixelates the photos.  When I open it in illustrator it is fine and I can zoom deep, but the artboard is also only 8.5 x 11.

Shouldn't this artboard be huge as it is a car-wrap and I send the print shop the .AI file?

Thanks ahead of time

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it is a vector image in the AI file, it can zoom in and out as much as you want with no weirdness to resolution. You should contact the print shop and ask them what file types they want. They may be able to convert right from the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sscrush,

You can work at a scale, any scale, if you just ensure that the Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings are set sufficiently high to get the right resolution at the final size (if you work at 1:10 or 1:12, you need to set them to 10 or 12 times the required final resolution or similar).

The resolution of a photo at the final size is determined by the pixel x pixel size and the final actual size. When you place the photo in an AI document, there is no resampling so if you scale down the size the resolution will increase correspondingly; there is no processing of the photo at all.

So if there is an issue with the photos is has nothing to do with AI: it has everything to do with the (original) photo.

You can choose a suitable scale that makes it easy to create the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the design consists of VECTOREL objects, magnification will not be a problem.
You can upgrade to any size you want.

PIXEL in the design, you can not work in any size if you want the photo.

You should check the resolution of the pixel images. Your designer should send you an open document instead of PDF. If you wish to open the photos in this open design document PHOTOSHOP you can perform the necessary enlargements.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ensuring you  have  Window > Control  ticked

Select   just a photo and  in the bar at the top what is the PPI: showing ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines