• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC is the worst purchase ever [Illustrator CC very slow for long time Illustrator user on 2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I downloaded Illustrator CC it has been awful. it is so slow and my internet connection is completely fine. I have used illustrator for 10 years but am now looking for something else. I am so disappointed. it is Sunday and I am trying to get work done but there is NO ONE to help. no phone number. no clues on how to get help on their website. will never recommend this to anyone. it is terrible. this is a massive company that obviously can't handle their work load.

thanks for nothing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the people answering questions on this site are volunteers who are here to help people. Most of us do NOT work for Adobe.

What kind of computer are you working on? What System?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fast for me.

As Jeff said, what are your system specs?

Here are the system requirements:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

Also, try resetting your preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Illustrator CC] is so slow and my internet connection is completely fine.

What does your internet connection have to do with Illustrator? Which version of Illustrator did you use prior to CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

internet access requirements for creative cloud not accurately represented by Adobe 

im not the only one... and I had CS4 which still worked perfectly until I had to update my Mac operating system which FORCED me to update to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is that 4 year old forum post relevant to what you are posting about now?

You say that Illustrator CC is slow on your new Mac. We need more details about your Mac but the performance of the software has nothing to do with your internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How old is your computer? It may not be capable of running Illustrator at the speed you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, Since you're the only one being pleasant during my frustration (and yes I know I got nasty but it's my frustration, those other guys just seem like trolls) I have a Macbook Pro from early 2012 completely updated Sierra. Had the hard drive reimaged when I started having trouble with other programs telling me I needed to update so I did. That's when I discovered CS4 was not compatible with the update. Which CS4 was running perfectly fine before I updated. I could either downgrade back or get a new version. Wasn't happy about paying for a new version but needed the program quickly. And now the program takes 20 minutes to open if it opens at all. And the little cloud icon is completely frozen and doesn't work at all even tho I get notifications from it to update CC which I just downloaded last week and updated it a couple of days later. I have to force quit the program all the time. So lets say it doesnt have anything to do with the Internet part, it's still running like terrible program and there is no one to help from the company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum is not able to sort out issues with individual setups. BTW: have you checked what jane-e posted?

The Support can be reached here:

Contact Customer Care

They can login to your computer to sort things out.

As for your computer consider this: Apple throws Sierra at the world for free. They don't earn any money with it. Their system is a vehicle to sell hardware. What do you think how much they care for your old hardware? I'm running old Macs myself, just so you know.

So the system might already be exhausting your machine and then comes Illustrator on top of it. You have not posted your system specs yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say - and I don't want to be called a troll - but it sounds like your current computer simply cannot handle Illustrator.

2012 was a fair while ago and whilst I'm not saying that it's your fault or that of your PC - new technology makes things fairly obsolete fairly quickly...

I mean "cutting edge" used to be the word to define companies really making ground but now the key word is "bleeding edge" as companies are practically in front of the "knife" when it comes to delivering new technology.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start hearing about "phantom edge" companies - companies so technologically advanced that they aren't aware they are even bleeding... (Might have to trademark that phrase)...

If you really don't want to consider getting a new computer then I would strongly suggest in spending a small some of money to significantly increase your ram capacity and if your Mac is capable of handling - give it some good old DDR4 RAM or better (DDR5 looks awesome - although not yet released AFAIA).

Regardless of which program you use you will be thankful for that small investment.

Also Illustrator does not actually "need" internet to work, this is just a convenient subscription based model - It only requires internet access every 30 days or so to validate that your license key is still correct.

IMHO I'm surprised you have managed to keep CS4 running this long. So kudos to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also add that in my experience Illustrator is just as relevant and on-trend as other vector based programs if not more so.

Whilst its not CAD per se and I don't work for Adobe - It's pretty damn good for what it does and the subscription model of CC gives you the advantage of always getting the latest releases.

People moan - including me occasionally - about how buggy initial releases can be but tbh at the end of the day it will get fixed and you will get cool new tools, features etc etc that pay for itself.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Eternal+Warrior  wrote

Sorry to say - and I don't want to be called a troll - but it sounds like your current computer simply cannot handle Illustrator.

i have a 2012 macbook pro. illustrator runs fine on it. i don't think this can just be ascribed to hardware.

illustrator isn't demanding software unless you make demanding illustrations. it shouldn't pose a problem just to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dougofakkad  wrote

i have a 2012 macbook pro. illustrator runs fine on it. i don't think this can just be ascribed to hardware.

illustrator isn't demanding software unless you make demanding illustrations. it shouldn't pose a problem just to open it.

Ok.. some of that is true.... However, we don't know what version of the 2012 MacPro the OP bought or the actual hardware setup.

We also don't know what applications or software he has installed on his computer aside from Illustrator/Adobe.

We know that he had to upgrade his OS and some of his other programs some of which could be contributing to the general performance of the PC and or Illustrator.

I agree that Illustrator isn't just in general use very demanding - However other external factors could be at play.

Certainly, other rogue applications (or adobe - it's possible after all) could be trying to access the internet or use all the RAM, CPU etc to update files, sync or just cause unnecessary havoc.

Hardware isn't likely to be the only problem - but it will be one of the key limiting factors no matter how much you improve the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bgray111​

Thank you for coming back and persisting—we actually do want to help you! Your first post didn't have much info, that's why people were asking other questions. And even though it's called Illustrator CC (Creative Cloud), it does not run in the Cloud. It is on your computer, and the Cloud will "check in" about once a month. That's why the Internet connection doesn't have any effect on the speed of the software.

Some ideas:

• Quit Illustrator and reset Preferences (always the first thing to do)

• Contact customer care, as per Monika's instructions

• Post on the Download, Installing, and Setting Up forumDownloading, Installing, Setting Up

Include your computer specs, which you can get from the Apple menu > Overview > System Report. (Do not include your serial number.)

Illustrator should not be running as slow as it is for you. And when you get it running, be sure to let us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bgray111  wrote

Jeff, Since you're the only one being pleasant during my frustration (and yes I know I got nasty but it's my frustration, those other guys just seem like trolls) I have a Macbook Pro from early 2012 completely updated Sierra. 

Thanks for coming back. We are trying to help.

No-one here is trying to be a troll. It's just that we often see posts in these forums which attack Adobe, its software and forum regulars and point to other irrelevant material about why Adobe products are so bad and allege that issues such as slowness are not being taken seriously. Adobe products are not perfect but they are very good. However, none of that matters if they do not work for you on your computer with its hardware and operating system, in your workflow when you need them to work. We all acknowledge that.

To assist the forum to help you, the more information you can give about your setup, the better.

You've received some useful pointers and suggestions from others here so we'll see where that takes us for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The people who have been trying to help you here are definitely not trolls. These good people are some of the most knowledgeable Illustrator users around.

I recommend that you take Monika's advice and Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2012 macbook pro

get a big fat ugly windows gaming laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines