Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Challange] Copy code from text editors into Illustrator

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have hit a dead end trying to copy code snippets from applications such as Visual Studio into Illustrator.

This nice page exists, which does that and lets you choose a design and export to PNG or SVG:

https://carbon.now.sh/

ShynnSup_0-1613797277552.png

But, I don't like any of the designs, plus I have no control over the overall size of the export. I would like to design my own in Illustrator.

The problem is, the code does not get copied with the syntax (colors, italicas, etc).

Is this possible to do or should I just forget it?

Thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Thank you.

I tried printing to PDF and then copying the text 'with formatting' from the Acrobat to Illustrator and no luck.

I had already installed the extension 'Copy as Html' from here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioPlatformTeam.CopyAsHtml

But it was not working in Illustrator either. It does work on Microsoft Word. I then tried to copy the pasted text from Microsft into Illustartor and again no luck.

What ended up working was to 'Place' the Microsoft Word docu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code formatting is not real formatting. It's just a visual aid provided by the code editor's own syntax highlighting engine. Hence just copy&pasting the plain code usually does nothing. You can easily have this verified by the messy SVG export the page you linked created, making it useless as a basis to work on in AI. Really not much more to say than that. That's why you should use the export functions from the programs, not copy & paste. VS can export formatted DOCs, HTML, Web JS and PDFs easily along with a bunch of image formats, as far as I remember.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I tried printing to PDF and then copying the text 'with formatting' from the Acrobat to Illustrator and no luck.

I had already installed the extension 'Copy as Html' from here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioPlatformTeam.CopyAsHtml

But it was not working in Illustrator either. It does work on Microsoft Word. I then tried to copy the pasted text from Microsft into Illustartor and again no luck.

What ended up working was to 'Place' the Microsoft Word document into Illustrator, and that comes up with formatting perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was really helpful. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This might be an easier job in InDesign. The use of paragraph and character styles allows you to quickly change the look of entire collections of designs. (Don't attempt it without learning how to use styles!)  The use of grep styles might allow about half of the syntax colouring to be automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines