• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes to Pantone Color Books

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the Pantone Color Books that are pre-loaded in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop will be phased-out from future software updates starting in August 2022. To access the complete set of Pantone Color Books, Pantone requires customers to purchase a premium license through Pantone Connect and install a plug-in using Adobe Exchange.  

For more information, please refer to the following FAQ pages:

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (Illustrator) 

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (InDesign) 

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (Photoshop) 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the FAQ : Why is access to pantone color books changing?
Pantone’s licensing with Adobe was adjusted...

I think that means, the profit margin was adjusted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started in Illustrator 88 and now after 34 years... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that Met is just right about the reason for the adjustments.

No corny epitaph required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Pantone has forgotten that before its Libraries were included in Adobe software, it was just a tiny printing ink company from Carlstadt, New Jersey. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is how you stop being the standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to save your favorite Libraries before they "go away."

1. Open a new Illustrator file.
  2. Open the Color Library of your choice. (Window > Swatch Libraries > Color Books).
  3. Under the Options of the Swatch Library, choose Select All Unused and then the Trash at the bottom of the panel,
  4. Select all of the Swatches in the Library by clicking on the first Swatch and Shift-clicking on the last.
  5. Under the Options menu of this Library panel, choose Add to Swatches.
  6. Delete any repeated Swatches (the first and last that you clicked on earlier to select all).
  7. Export the Swatches as an ASE or AI under the Options menu of the Swatches panel. 

The ASE can be imported into Illustrator, InDesign or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh god! too late for me!! is there other way? I've seen a lot of complains about the Pantone Connect Platform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still install an older version and get the libraries from it. Also if you just search on the web, you can find them to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install (or go to if still installed) an older version of Illustrator like 2022 (CC app > Apps > All Apps > Illustrator > click the 3 dots … > Other Versions)

Go the Illustrator 2022 Application folder > Presets > (your language folder) > Swatches > Color Books > and make a copy of PANTONE+ Solid Coated.acb and PANTONE+ Solid Uncoated.acb 

Keep them in a safe place and copy them to the same location in the Illustrator 2023 application folder. Or search for the .acb files online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that! That worked a charm 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find that.  I'm not given the option to download other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking in the Creative Cloud application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I got the Pantone book back finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there pagage deals for busineses. or does every employee have to buy a plug in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably need to ask Pantone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that was great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that is a correct response. Nobody is happy about Pantone's new decision.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because it wasn't Pantone's decision – it was Adobe's. Adobe plain and simply didn't want to pay the meagre fees and sent Pantone packing — ONCE AGAIN WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THE END USER. The designers who regularly rely on the consistent colour guides provided by Pantone. So stop corporate-washing this as a Pantone move. It was Adobe's all along. SHAME!!! Yet another reason I hope AI develops a competitive program to Adobe so that Abobe will head the way of the dinosaurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to show where it was Adobe's decision? I would be interested in reading the article/info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a workflow in which I use many software from adobe and corel and gmg and esko and studiorip .. 

The fact that adobe eliminated the pantone solid coated color libraries and the fact that they changed the way the pantone + solid coated libraries are made .. affects my work and I cannot rely any longer on adobe updated software because all my other programs I work with no longer interpret correctly the PSD files made with the updated soft from adobe.

I have international clients I work for that need changes and updates to their old / existing files and products . I cannot work with adobe updated versions because the software language for the color libraries / books / swatches has been changed for certain pantone libraries and elinimated for other pantone libraries.  My PSD files that contain pantone spot colors, made before august '22 are no longer editable with the new updated software regarding the Pantone spot colors... these colors are no longer supported in the updated sofwere from adobe.

My other programs (not from adobe) that I use no longer import correctly the files I made with photoshop 23.5.1 or 23.5 that contain spot colors from Pantone .. This greatly affects my work and my workflow and this is not normal. I had to reinstall a older version of photoshop so I could work again and have consistency through my workflow.

Adobe should not change or eliminate pantone color libraries and not take into account that designers use also other programs that use the same pantone colors.. designers need consistency and reliable software. The fact that pantone colors from adobe progreams no longer work in other programs is not acceptable and this affects workflows and this has and will have huge implications. The customer / end user should not suffer or pay more due to disputes over licensing fees between Adobe and Pantone.

Please restore the old color libraries / books so we can have consistency and reliable workflows again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try copying the old Pantone Swatch libraries into the new Illustrator preset folders? It won't include newer colors since the libraries were last updated, but one could make their own spot colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most vital usage in adobe, just taken away from all your loyal customers!
just for more and more profit.

And all this without any shame??.... any?... 
I knew Adobe became worse and worse over the years , especially with less stable crappie apps>
But this takes the biscuit.
realy looking out now for alternatives.
Adobe had its days long due.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that bites the big one. I used to use it all the time way back in the later 90s. It was so easy to activate the pantone colors, all of them I believe. So Adobe can't afford to help us out by including that?? This billion billion $$$$ company won't offer that...  Adobe does what they want, any negative feedback is printed and mounted as an everlasting supply of  "dartboard background" game boards. No offense Adobe, but that's the lasting impression many of us have regarding your customer care.  

I'm still angry that, if and when I stop subscribing, I have nothing. Not even an older version. The updates come too often, I wish they would slow it down.

After all that, I still love Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines