Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

circles from small to large to small inside a big circle

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im trying to make a painting frame like they used to make in art nouveau, specifically like the circles within the crescent shape,going from small to big to small on the image example:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 111039.png

i figured out i need to use blend but no matter what i try i cant get it to do it, i'm screwing up distribution:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 111405.png

Help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Wesley, hi

I random color as I work.

To recreate, I used a Blend. 3 circles.

I used Blend Steps 21

Expand Blend Steps and ungroup.

Align Panel: I used Distribute Spacing of 0.

Group your circles.

Make your overall art nouveau shape circles.

See that purple stroke, I know that size 595.546 pt.

Next, I made a Pattern Brush that same size.

Then I applied the Pattern Brush that purple stroke.

K

Screen Dots.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could check out Astute Graphics Reprofile.

There is a webinar this afternoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxdK3gysFE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows that you have placed the final element of your blend way out side of the contained area that you are looking for. If you do this with the blend tool then you would place the final step of the blend where it is supposed to fall and then create a blend using Specified Steps. See https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/blending-objects.html for more information about using the blend tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! the distance between objects is done by illustrator itself by using steps in the blending options, so i think im missing something here. i tought i make a blend with specific steps, use the distrubution functionality to space em all even, and replace the spine of a circle, but non of them are working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i tried to make a blend first and then move aroud the path but the circles are not sizing incrementaly as i tought they would:Screenshot 2024-05-02 125221.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wesley, hi

I random color as I work.

To recreate, I used a Blend. 3 circles.

I used Blend Steps 21

Expand Blend Steps and ungroup.

Align Panel: I used Distribute Spacing of 0.

Group your circles.

Make your overall art nouveau shape circles.

See that purple stroke, I know that size 595.546 pt.

Next, I made a Pattern Brush that same size.

Then I applied the Pattern Brush that purple stroke.

K

Screen Dots.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY MOLY in all these years ive never knew of the ''distribute spacing'' option T_T why isnt this displayed by default!?now i undertand why the distribution never made any sense......FOR YEARS. Thank you so so so much! im gonna try right away. THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to note that this may be ok for your needs, but it will produce ellipses that are fatter at the top than the bottom, not circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, I see what you mean.

When I expanded the pattern brush, all those circles were not true circles. Just slightly off.

To correct, I ungrouped and applied script JET_ReplaceWithSymbol.

Break Link to Symbol if want.

All shapes are true circles. Closed path, 4pts 

K

Screen Symbol.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could create a pattern brush without the unwanted distortions of the circles by using strokes that imitate filled circles.

Also, last year Femke provided a script that creates Apollonian gaskets. I'm sure it could be modified to suit your needs.

Apollonian gaskets script by Femke Blanco

You may try the asymmetric or nested version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kurt Gold  schrieb:

One could create a pattern brush without the unwanted distortions of the circles by using strokes that imitate filled circles.

Could you do that successfully lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Monika, in the latest Illustrator version 28.5. You can download a sample file below.

Circle Pattern Brush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Superb, Kurt. Would not have occurred to me any time soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug! thank you! ive noticed that as well, especially because i already tried making a brush out of it when i first started and came onto the forum. Is the JET_ReplaceWithSymbol included within illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JET's scripts are no longer publicly available anywhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! ive found the script in the meantime, it was hosted by a account on github.

ive been using illustrator for over 10 years, but goes to show you can't know everything about something, i proudly show you guys the results! knowing the circumference of the circle instead of the diameter was of immeasurable value so the brush would no longer warp so extremely. As well as finding out there was an hidden option for distribution, which has been of my biggest caveats. The replacing with symbols was the icing on the cake!:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 152839.png

Not only did i learn a lot today, im also very happy i can continue my work with the quality i wanted!

THANK YOU AGAIN, and i hope ya'll have a grand day!<3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar script; Zamena size that keeps the color was mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/convert-multiple-rectangle-shapes-to-paths-li...

But the Zamena scripts have disappeared too.

The script is encluded in the link as well as a download link (which Chrome thinks is very dangerous but Safari doesn't think so).

It works without needing a Symbol, the top object will replace an ungrouped selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ton! i think i might have accidentally replied on the wrong comment. i've been going ham with multiple scripts, i was hoping there was a replacement script that would keep rotation of the original object in mind, so that all the symbols would be facing inwards into the circle once replaced, but im already happy with all this information:O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep rotation, that would be nice too. Hope one of the scripters has an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines